Maker Pro
Maker Pro

kenwood reciever

bmeister

Mar 9, 2012
Gentlemen and or ladies,

I have a Kenwood AM/FM receiver. I am not currently at home and do not remember the model number. It says it is a high speed DC receiver but I have no idea what that is other than to make it sound special. According to the internet it is not worth much but I have had it for a long time (since it was new) and I really do like it. It has been about 50 years since I have worked on this stuff. I could do better if I had a schematic but most people that I have talked to do not know what a Sams Photofact is. The problem that I am having is one or both channels not working. I have to crank the volume way up until it finally comes on and that is enough to blast you out of the room. It is getting worse also. Can anyone tell me what is going on and where the problem is. Thanks for your help.

Bruce

Last edited:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hi there Bruce
welcome to the forums :)

well I have no idea what a Kenwood high speed DC receiver is Im assuming its some sort of tuner amp ??
It mite help if you gave the actual model number and maybe links to circuit diagrams
so that we can all got on the "same page" and maybe try and help you :)

Dave

twister

Feb 12, 2012
Not sure what you have, a short wave receiver that is run on DC? Sometimes the volume potentiometer goes bad and acts like that. You can easily test it with an ohm meter. Just put one lead on the ground or the top and the other on the wiper and turn it and see if the ohms vary smoothly.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I have a couple 1970's era Kenwood receiver/amplifiers.
Your problem is the push-button switches on the panel. The push-buttons activate
slide switches on the printed circuit board. The slide switches wear, and don't make
good contact.
You will find if you push buttons, and then push the function (AM/FM/AUX switches),
that the output will return. When you dial up the volume, you're running enough
current through the switch to allow the proper operation of the output, and when you
lower the volume, sooner or later, you'll lose the output again because of the lower
current through the switch.
The ONLY way you're going to fix the problem is to replace the worn switch or switches.
Kenwood doesn't stock the old switches for these receiver/amps, but if you get inside
and measure the pin distances for the switch or switches on the board, you can look
up an equivalent switch, and replace it. Just get your shaft distance right to the front
of the receiver/amp, and you can put the push-button cap from the old switch on the
new switch. The face of the receiver will look right, and your receiver/amp will be
as good as new.
(Play with the pushbuttons/lever switches on the front panel when the output goes
out on one channel, and you'll see what I mean).