Connect with us

Kenwood reciever, worth trying to repair?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by netdog, Jun 3, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. netdog

netdog

Jun 3, 2013
    I have an older THX/Dolby Kenwood receiver, a KR-x1000 with a serious issue. Just trying to decide whether it is worth even getting any farther into it for repair.

Symptoms are that it is old, has been a bit overheated for quite a while it seems, and one day it just quit, protection relay was tripping, and when I tried it twice it looked as if someone struck an arc welder inside.
    Since I was able to download a service manual for it, I decided to at least open it up and have a look see. service manual dl link http://elektrotanya.com/kenwood_kr-x1000_g.pdf/download.html

Now for the pics, I haven't even looked in the service manual yet. I suppose this first board is a preamp board.. it feeds the preamp outputs. Sits directly over the main amp heat sink. It's a bit toasted looking, but I could possibly live with that. The solder joints on it seem pretty crystallized.

Then there's the main failure in pic2.. Wow that's a very blown chip, big hole in it, and the leg on the right is totally blown in half, t is available though, seems to be a pair of transistors in it, rated 12 amps, for about $7 on digikey.

Should I pull that main board, figure out why this thing decide to blow a hole in it's face, and completely burn one of the legs clean off, or scrap it for parts.?

I do have all the tools I need, training although it was 20+ years ago, and it might make a decent thread to get this back into shape and working.. But it might be a bit over my head without some help.

Attached Files:

2. eKretz

eKretz

Apr 8, 2013
    Oh, I used to have one of those. It was a great receiver in its day. I relegated it to garage duty many years ago, and then it went to my brother when he needed a stereo. I think I would check out the service manual first thing and follow the easier procedures there first to get a better idea of any other problems. I would definitely try to fix it if you plan on using it yourself, I have fond memories of that old receiver.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  3. netdog

netdog

Jun 3, 2013
    Yup just for my use, for garage or computer room duty most likely. I also want to start doing some repair projects fo learning and practice too. It already had a few other minor issues as well, some input switching issues and the rotary encoders were a bit iffy.

4. eKretz

eKretz

Apr 8, 2013
    The encoder issues are a common problem on that receiver. They must have used switches prone to dirt infiltration. I had to use contact cleaner on mine every few years to straighten things out. A quick blast on all the rotary switches, especially volume, cleared everything back up for me.

Wow, that main board is really black. I have run some of my old boards through the dishwasher, then dried 'em in the oven at low heat for a few hours. Cleans 'em up right nicely.

5. netdog

netdog

Jun 3, 2013
    Yeah if I decide to fix it I'll have to pull all the boards out of the amp side of the chassis and give em a good cleaning, between heat and years of tobacco smoke they are filthy.. Just for fun another shot of the blown power transistor set.

The big question is what else got zapped from all the current that went through that transistor, and how to find it all? Got a feeling that if I just put a new $7 part in it'll go poof when I hit the switch too. I suppose I'll pull the main board and clean it up and look for anything obvious leading away from that component first.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
Ask a Question