Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Kayak stand with sensors ?

Anne Holmen

Jun 23, 2016
I'm a member of a kayak club. We have a limited number of kayak stands. The problem is that some people store kayaks they never use. Others use their kayaks a lot, but have no space at the stands. To make rules will not solve the problem, as long as we can't control them. Then I got an idea ! I do not know anything of electronics, so that is why I ask you.
If we had sensors at every space, that sent signals to a controlling unit every time the kayak was removed from the stand, and every time the kayak was put back. The information had to contain the identificaion of that specific sensor.
The sensors had to be outdoor all the time and stand rain and possibly also some salty water (from the kayaks).
The communication to a controller unit could be with cables. The cables could be inside the tubes that the stand is made of. The controller unit could be inside a small locker in metal connected to the stand. This controller unit had to send information to some receiver in a wireless manner.
I do not think something like this exist after a quick search at Google. But is it posible to make something like this, and what do I need? Do the parts exist, and where could I buy them ?

Thanks in advance!

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Sounds like a job for a security guard. Seriously though this sounds rather involved even for one experienced. Are you just looking for ideas or plan to make this yourself?

Anne Holmen

Jun 23, 2016
I would have liked to make it myself, if the parts I needed were available and affordable, and not too much job.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
How much experience do you have? This is not a simple project.

Bob