Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Kayak outboard motor

Lance0070

Jan 23, 2018
cdv_photo_002.png
What other comments would I need to run this motor if I was to attach it to my kayak?

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
Being brushless it must have its own controller so if you don't want it to run full speed you need to figure out the interface to control that, OR it could be acceptable to run it at full speed?

Otherwise, you're looking at around 20A current so you need a switch to trigger a transistor or relay based connection to the battery.

Put it in the front of the kayak, being cigar shaped it probably won't be stable with it in the back, or at least very twitchy.

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
A picture is not all that useful, can't see all the specs, can't copy/paste anything to search for it.

However my best guess is no, that is not suitable for controlling a brushless motor. You need the motor specs/datasheet to determine it, and since you only provided a picture of that too, again no specs nor an easy way to search for it.

okay found it and it states "Notice:this thruster must be used with a brushless motor driver to operate normally,it cannot be directly connected to the battery.", so there you go, you need a brushless motor driver.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pc...l?spm=2114.10010108.1000023.14.27586b00I6lmS1

Last edited:

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
Okay apparently you did not read my prior reply carefully because the gist of it was, don't substitute pictures for text data and links. ...
Maybe it's because you are in the United States, whereas @Lance0070 is located "down under" in New Zealand, but for whatever reason there is an obvious failure either to communicate or for Lance to follow simple instructions. Maybe both.

Given the situation, I would not bother to try to provide any further advice or help as anything you post will be clearly falling on deaf ears. It appears that some posters here do not even bother to read our responses, perhaps because they already think they have their "problem" solved and just need our reassurances that everything is hunky-Dorrie or copacetic or okay or whatever is appropriate to their situation. Good luck to them! But I doubt Lance yet realizes that a brushless direct-current motor-driver is required to operate his thruster, big STOP sign warning image or not.

So, move along folks! Nothing to see here! Nothing to learn here!

Lance0070

Jan 23, 2018
Thanks **** wit, it’s more of a reading oversight more than anything, I’m trying to find time between work and play and mistakes happen, you must have to much spare time, thought this was a place to learn and teach but after one mistake you pull the pin, what’s the old saying, if you have nothing nice to say then don’t say it all. Your winner of course must be hard to be up on your level.

QUOTE="hevans1944, post: 1787602, member: 25476"]Maybe it's because you are in the United States, whereas @Lance0070 is located "down under" in New Zealand, but for whatever reason there is an obvious failure either to communicate or for Lance to follow simple instructions. Maybe both.

Given the situation, I would not bother to try to provide any further advice or help as anything you post will be clearly falling on deaf ears. It appears that some posters here do not even bother to read our responses, perhaps because they already think they have their "problem" solved and just need our reassurances that everything is hunky-Dorrie or copacetic or okay or whatever is appropriate to their situation. Good luck to them! But I doubt Lance yet realizes that a brushless direct-current motor-driver is required to operate his thruster, big STOP sign warning image or not.

So, move along folks! Nothing to see here! Nothing to learn here![/QUOTE]

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
The thing is, your posting screenshots instead of text and links, is going to hamper your effectiveness in the future, not just this topic.

You should make it as easy as possible for others to assist.