Connect with us

JX2 vs R1J, resistors, can't find replacement...

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Mkevincook, Jan 13, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Mkevincook

Mkevincook

Jan 13, 2015
    Hello! I'm new here, but glad to find such an awesome forum.

I'm trying to replace this metal plate resistor, labeled "mpr5w .1 ohm jx2" but can't seem to locate one. I did find this:

http://www.digikey.com/product-sear...t=0&page=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25

And even ordered a couple, but they only have two leads, whereas my part has three leads. Is my jx2 just two of these 2-lead guys put together?

Hopefully I can upload a pic of the original part. In the picture, inside the bag is the part I ordered a couple of.

2015-01-12 19.29.37.jpg

2. KrisBlueNZ

KrisBlueNZ Sadly passed away in 2015

Nov 28, 2011
    Hi there and welcome to Electronics Point :)

Yes, the three terminal part you have contains two 0.1Ω resistors, probably wirewound, with ±5% tolerance (indicated by the "J"). They are joined at the centre terminal. It can be replaced with two separate 0.1Ω resistors with ±5% tolerance.

I don't know whether the 5W rating is the total dissipation for both, or the dissipation for each. To be on the safe side, use two resistors rated for 5W each.

I assume this component is in the output stage of an audio amplifier? If so, it's likely that it failed because of a separate problem. Start by measuring the output transistors for continuity between collector and emitter (usually the centre lead and the right lead); they may be short. If so, other semiconductors in the output stage may have been damaged as well.

3. Mkevincook

Mkevincook

Jan 13, 2015
    Kris....is one smart cookie :) it certainly is an audio amp, and there was a blown cap I replaced, but this thing looked like it blew white stuff out of it so I thought I'd try to replace it also. Are you suggesting it might be this black thingy?

2015-01-12 19.42.30.jpg

4. KrisBlueNZ

Nov 28, 2011
    You mean the black blob next to the "R150" marking"? I don't know what that is. It looks like a bit of goop that leaked out of something!

The output transistors will be the two three-terminal packages at the back, that were screwed onto the heatsink. Q106 and Q111. Q106 is marked TIP35C; I can't read the marking on Q111. Measure continuity between the middle and right legs of each one. They should read open circuit.

Where is the capacitor you replaced? What is its circuit reference?

What's the brand and model number of the unit? Someone may be able to find a service manual or a schematic for it.

5. Mkevincook

Mkevincook

Jan 13, 2015
    You nailed it...I was talking about the "output transistors", those black things lol. The goop is just some kind of glue to hold things down. Replacing the cap was easy, caps are pretty much the only electronics I feel like I slightly understand... but the multimeter shows no continuity between any of the three legs. Don't know of any other tests to run on it :-\ it's just a crappy amp, a vbp241 lanzar, but I'm damn good at soldering and I love to fix things, and I found digikey, which is awesome. So, I'm pairing the mpr's like this, let me know if I've got the wrong idea lol

2015-01-12 20.01.00.jpg

6. KrisBlueNZ

Nov 28, 2011
    Yeah that's it. Good luck!

Ask a Question