Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Just a question about working with components ?

Hennity

Jun 12, 2012
Hi...I`ve often read that it`s important to use one of those "wrist anti-static" devices when working with electronics.

Is this an important issue ?

I don`t know anyone that uses them,even guys who are competent with electronics...not that I am with them when they`re doing their stuff :D

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Depends on what you are working with, your working environment and your other precautions... It's never a bad idea to use one, but then again it's not 'requirement' in most cases either...

You will find that certain chips just don't like any static and will self destruct in no time, while others are pretty tolerant...

Hennity

Jun 12, 2012
Hmmm...I think I`m a static carrying kind of person as whenever I get out of my car I invariably get a mini jolt from static...maybe I`ll invest the small sum required to get one.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Remember they are no good unless you ground the other end...

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
You need to ground the wire attached to the wrist strap for it to be effective... You would usually do this by connecting it to a ground off the mains supply in your house or building, your house/building is usually tied to either/or a long rod nailed into the ground or a buried metal pipe like your water supply line... And likely a backup ground from the electric pole in many cases... You can also common ground yourself to what you are working with, you will see many computer guys do this they just attach the strap to the computers case... IMO not the best practice especially if the computer is unplugged and not grounded itself, but better then nothing...

Best to ground directly to the house as I said, but sadly many homes are not properly grounded so you would need to verify any connection made... In the US the quick and easy is to back the screw out that holds the cover plate over the socket and attach a ground wire there with a crimp ring connector... But, this only works if the socket is properly grounded to begin with...

Hennity

Jun 12, 2012
Thanks for the answer...in the UK pretty much everything has a ground in the house now...(an EU ruling I believe) so I`ll be spoilt for choice in my house !!!

It`s about time for some sleep here so I`ll say good night and thanks very much...