Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Jumpstarting unit PS1100 may be incapable of charging?

Benny7440

Jan 14, 2016
This unit was given to me many years ago but the battery was dead and I left it untouched a long time. I then needed to charge a car battery but it's not performing the job. I would like to diagnose the unit and repair it if not too costly.

The power cable is missing but I connected it to the AC line by means of a broken extention. The cables to the battery can't get to the poles of the battery and I used "probably" a too thin couple of cables. I know this has an effect on the power getting to the battery but... Need ideas as to how to proceed!

Thanks in advanced for any help on this issue!

Benny7440

Jan 14, 2016
I've disconnected the Power Supply to the unit and measured it and it read almost zero volts but it's suppoesed to give ~15 DC volts. I'm in the process of connecting another suitable source. After finishing with this step I'll post the outcome of it.

Benny7440

Jan 14, 2016
After disassembling the P/S unit discovered it had a blown out power protection unit inside the transformer (see uploaded photo). The written info on the device is as follows:
M-F AUP0
Q4 <PS>
E <--- the PS & E go inside the 90° rotated square shown
130°C JET
2A 250V~

This squared device is open. I'm in the process of putting a jumper insted of it and supervise closely its temperature at the beginning, at least.

The only question that I still have is why the output at the input of the booster was still zero after replacing the power supply with another 'good' unit? Did I made a short circuit at the soldering step (my supply of tin doesn't contain flux, so I need to add it in advance)?

Any ideas? Thanks!PS1100_raw_dc_power-supply_.jpg PS1100_raw_dc_power-supply_.jpg