Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Jukebox Device

Fred124

Sep 16, 2016
Hello,

I am looking to do a project where I create a jukebox style device, and need some help with the electronics aspect! My idea is to have a circuit where a specific button is pressed and a certain song is played, and there are say 5-10 buttons and each one plays a different song. It should be connected to a speaker and have a volume control ideally also.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could go about this? I’m a novice to this sort of thing too so if it’s possible, not too complex would be great!

Thanks

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
It would help if we knew more about your plan.
Are you planning to run LP's or 45 records, CD's, or something off of an MP3 type player, or something else?
The more information you've got the better the suggestions here will be for your project.

Fred124

Sep 16, 2016
Thank you shrtrnd for taking the time to reply. I was going to run it off a system e.g. circuit board that you could insert a memory card/SD card into with the tracks of music on. Then there would be buttons or switches attached to the board and when pressed each one played a different track through the speaker so for example button 1 would play track 1 on the SD card etc. That is what I was planning however I don't know how to go about it.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Sounds pretty retro. I don't think you're going to see plans for something like that (maybe somebody that retrofits/modifies modern to the old push-buttons).
I don't have a schematic for you, maybe somebody will come up with some good ideas here.
If I was going to do something like what you plan, I'd seriously consider taking some factory modern device that has the
functions you want, and adapt that to accept the push-buttons you want.
I don't know if you want a serious do-it-yourself project you can be proud you built yourself, or if you're considering
adapting something already pre-built.
The simplest CD players for example, accept individual repeated selection of the 'next' pushbutton to advance from the first song track through each of the following ones. You would use a counter circuit to count selections for every second or third, or forth track to play.
The more I think about this, the less practical the idea seems to be. You can buy darned near anything these days
to do just about anything you want. Memory programming for track selection, 'random' selection, other functions to mix-up the selection. Somebody wanting to adapt the simple into your concept of pushbutton selection (as I understand it), is an unusually difficult work-round for what's already available.
My suggestion here, is to find a programmable memory device that will interface with your play circuitry.
Sorry, but that's my 2-cents worth.

Fred124

Sep 16, 2016
Okay thanks for the advice, I have had a look on the internet for systems or devices that I might be able to program and adapt for pushbuttons and came across this circuit:
https://www.kitronik.co.uk/4688-lilypad-mp3-player.html
Do you reckon this would work? Also, it says there are 5 'triggered inputs' - does that mean I could attach 5 pushbuttons to it?

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Can't access your link on the computer I'm using. Hopefully someone here who can, will give you their opinion.
The description sounds promising, it'll be a matter of what the author means.

Fred124

Sep 16, 2016
This is the description of the MP3 player circuit that the link goes to:
'The LilyPad MP3 Player is your all-in-one audio solution, containing an Arduino-compatible microcontroller, MP3 (and many other formats) audio decoder chip, micro-SD card socket, and a stereo audio amplifier.
It can be powered by a 3.7V Lipo battery (charger built-in!), or an external 3.5-6V source.
Off the shelf, it will play specific audio files when any of its five trigger inputs are grounded, or you can solder in an RGB rotary encoder (not included) and load new firmware (included in the link below) to add a user interface for track selection and volume control!
The board is compatible with sketches written for the MP3 Player Shield. Our example code uses Bill Porter's MP3 Player library, which makes writing new code very easy.
All you need to do is add a microSD card and some speakers.

Features:
  • ATmega 328p microprocessor with Arduino bootloader (Pro 3.3V/8MHz).
  • VS1053B MP3 (and many other formats) decoder chip.
  • TPA2016D2 stereo amplifier.
  • MCP73831 3.7V Lipo charger (preset to 500mA, rate can be changed if desired).
  • Headphone jack.
  • Five trigger inputs, also usable as analog, serial and I2C ('Wire') connections.
  • Load new firmware (or write your own) using the free Arduino IDE.
  • 5V FTDI basic breakout for battery recharging and reprogramming.
  • Header for optional RGB rotary encoder (not included, requires soldering).
Does this make sense and do you reckon it would do what I am looking for?

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Since I can't access that link from my computer, I suggest you contact the company or person directly and ask them.
The 'five trigger inputs' reference is enticing, but vague.
The device appears to be geared toward selection of individual tracks using a dial (rotary encoder), not push-buttons,
but may very well be adaptable. If you contact the guys who designed it, they may have an exact schematic available for you to wire their device to act the way you want it to.
I would assume the maker wants to sell his product, and may very well cooperate in helping you meet your needs, in order to make the sale. (And maybe encourage others to buy their product)