Connect with us

Jeep Wrangler Computers

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by joeyb, Feb 18, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. joeyb

joeyb

Feb 18, 2013
    Hello all. Joey here....new to the forums.
    I have fixed about 5 Jeep Wrangler computers in the past 2 or 3 years. The problem shows up with the Jeep not starting (check engine light doesn't come on) and the car has to be cranked for about 30 seconds to start. Sometimes they won't start at all.

Problem: There are four 220uF electrolytic capacitors in there and all you do is cut out the potting material and solder the new caps in. I left the legs sticking out of the PCB and just soldered to the stubs I left in. Then I bent the caps down and poured clear potting compound back over the board when I was done.

Of course, I skipped the part about cracking the case apart to get into the PCB. The great thing is that it costs about 5 bucks to do the whole repair and the potting epoxy glues the enclosure back together nicely. :)

Anyway, ping me if you try this and get stuck. ;)
    This is for the YJ Jeep Wranglers with the 2.5L 4 cylinder engine 1987 thru 1996 (older ones)

Ask a Question