Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Jazzmaster style bullet strat guitar cavity

tedstruk

Jan 7, 2012
phase switching, series-parallel or what ever is really becoming a pain in the cavity---
imagine my present dilemna of 2-6 contact ON-ON switches 1-5 way switch with 7 contacts(most have 8 contacts) a master volume of 3 contacts, a master tone of 3 contacts, and 3-2 coil pickups with 5 wires each a whopping 15 wires open- 9 wires preset. That is 34 connections--that go inside the cavity. Now I have added to this<---> a must have to me. A tone control that works, on a small piece of chip board from my favorite store, and a handful of hacked parts of the right sizes to make it all go, that includes... a built-in set of 2 pot controls - 1 for Bass and 1 for Treble. Add two more contacts to our list of 34 cranking it up to 36.
This would be the most basic of multi-humbucker rail setups for any thee pickup strat, or bullet or mustang that anyone might plan to build.

I want to express my sincere regret to those who plan to split coils and ramp up the power. Hotrails aren't meant to be split, but can be. I split mine. I am considering it a mistake.

My object was to invent a split mini-humbucker system that would counter act the balance of the dicey treble that most of these 3 pickup devices have. I want a moist bass midrange that can take the harsh strumming associated with rhythm playing, thats the baxandall tone circuit I say is a must have.
The Telecaster wiring(a great rhythm guitar of the same caliber) calls for a sub standard switching, that ties the front and rear pickups, the middle and front, All pickups, the rear and middle, and the middle only. This I like, but can't do, because it takes an extra 3 way switch.
No room in the cavity.

I want to tone it down so to speak....

question you might ask if you were in my position-->
"Should the tone circuit be placed closest to the volume, closest to the pickups ie.the source(I think teach said always stay just as close to the source as possible), or nearest the output ground?

I think I will use split coils driving through the baxandall and out. that way, I can drive the pickups through the tone, no matter where the 5-way is set... now that's not rocket science, but I might get the tone control I want (ps I am losing my phase switching, but gaining a parallel tone circuit, that is subject to some strange input phasing.)

still with me?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
still with me?

No. Is there a question in there?

"Should the tone circuit be placed closest to the volume, closest to the pickups ie.the source(I think teach said always stay just as close to the source as possible), or nearest the output ground?

If that's the question, then I'd say "after the preamp".