Maker Pro
Maker Pro

jack/plug type for DC power?

Madsalts

Sep 25, 2014
I'm putting together three projects involving motors that will run off of a 12V "wall wart" power supply. I picked up some radioshack size "M" coaxial connectors. These are cylindrical plugs that go straight into the jacks. I've had problems with these. A jack provided a poor contact, so I swapped it out. The replacement didn't work at all (?). Even if they did work, there is a very loose fit between the contacts, and a wire fell out at one point. I've wasted so much time with these things.

I don't know what to use as a substitute for these. I see switchcraft makes similar looking things, that are probably better. I would like to keep this as simple as possible. Amperage will be 2A for one device (stall current), 1A for another (stall current), and 0.5-1 (depending on how I decide to set it up) for the third device.

Can I use TS connectors? XLR? RCA? Or should I just stick with the switchcraft?

thanks.

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
Switchcraft, Kobiconn and CUI are the better brands on the market but more importantly, you must have the correct sizes mated together. Radio Shack letter codes are not useful beyond Radio Shack because they're not standardized, just as Sony's color coding efforts failed to become standardized. You must therefore familiarize yourself with coaxial DC (barrel) connector sizing by their dimensions in millimeters.

Madsalts

Sep 25, 2014
right. I realize that by switching, I'll have to swap all the connectors. With the radioshack components, size mismatch wasn't the issue.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
There are several sizes of barrel connectors (pin size/length and diameter). Are you SURE your connectors/jacks are the same physical size?
I have often run into this problem. The barrel appears to be seated, but the internal pin is not the right size.
I'd recheck that carefully, before looking for other possible problems.