Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Ive just bought US$155,000.00 of test equipment :-O

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Well, if you take a look at 1990 prices it adds up to that.

I didn't pay anything like that.

Some will likely be donated to a local hackerspace.

Some of the stuff is huge! Have you ever seen a HP54111D? The specs are still pretty impressive.

And does anyone know why an HP3456A cost more than an HP3457A?

For the curious I only paid low single digit cents in the dollar on 1990 prices, less than the price of the new scope I wanted to buy.

But I'm going to have so many more new toys!!!

WP_20150817_20_48_58_Pro.jpg

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
always fun to have some "new" toys to play with :)

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Some will take time to get here. The Tektronix 577 is an example. It's assisting in the padding out of a container.

edit 577 D1 with 177 and hopefully test adapters and manuals.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
As a guy whose plant still heavily uses the old HP stuff and asks me to keep it repaired and calibrated, let me say congratulations.
People on-line complain about repair parts availability, but there's a lot of it left out there world-wide.
HP made their stuff to last, and designed it to be easily repaired when it didn't. It was the Rolls Royce of test & measurement gear for decades (and still has impressive specs today)
You've got the HP to Industry Standard parts cross reference list here that you added to the Electronics Point resources if you need it.
And if the world's ecomony hits the skids, don't forget to reclaim all the gold inside those chassis.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
As a guy whose plant still heavily uses the old HP stuff and asks me to keep it repaired and calibrated, let me say congratulations.
People on-line complain about repair parts availability, but there's a lot of it left out there world-wide.
HP made their stuff to last, and designed it to be easily repaired when it didn't. It was the Rolls Royce of test & measurement gear for decades (and still has impressive specs today)
You've got the HP to Industry Standard parts cross reference list here that you added to the Electronics Point resources if you need it.
And if the world's ecomony hits the skids, don't forget to reclaim all the gold inside those chassis.

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
I have an HP programmable spectrum analyzer somewhere. I dont remember the model but i can find out. are theese worth anything ? i used it once and it was nice.

tryppyr

Oct 22, 2013
All of the old equipment has some value. Apparently some people believe it has LOTS of value, as some are trying to sell the old HP test equipment on eBay for moon money. I don't believe they are actually selling at those prices, but who knows....

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
It's those bloody collectors I tell you!

;)

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
My company discovered that if they keep me around (I'm an old guy who started-out repairing HP gear), and I can keep their $30,000 HP unit operational and calibrated, they don't have to go out and buy the present-day
$180,000 equivalent. Considering the extent of their test and measurement inventory, somebody has their thinking-cap on.
The college kids these days are using the modern stuff in their college labs, so expect to see it when they get a job somewhere. New is nice.
The market out there is geared for new and nice. But I tell you what, the durability and tech specs on the old HP gear is hard to beat.
Old guys who know how to repair the old stuff are in short supply, and so are a lot of the specialized HP parts.
You see so much HP gear on Ebay because their T&M gear dominated the market for decades. When it goes out of spec or requires repair, there's no easily available fix anymore for manufacturers. HP is gone.
A fully calibrated, fully operational HP instrument can fetch a pretty penny to somebody who needs it. But a broken unit is undesireable because nobody is geared to repair them anymore.
I'm a tech, and I'm old. I like the HP gear for the reasons stated above. But to the new intelligencia, new is nice.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Here is a picture of a small amount of my haul that I either converted to 240V or otherwise checked today:

haul1.jpg

I've done some other items, but I'm only now getting into the more interesting stuff...

Last edited: