Maker Pro
Maker Pro

I've decided to learn electronic repair :)

abeluna

Sep 5, 2018
Hello everyone, nice to meet you. I started my career as a computer programmer but it's hard to compete with outsourcing. Those guys in India are only charging $5 an hour. It's crazy I know.

So I've decided to switch gears in my career and learn how to repair electronics. Let's see those outside guys try to offer that kind of service from a thousand miles away. HAHA!

Anyway, if anyone would like to point in the right direction feel free to reply to this post or send me a message. I am looking to learn the basics first. Then how to diagnose and repair them. My first project will be the TV sitting in my closet. I plug it in and the screen turns on, but then it changes colors in a cycle and doesn't respond to button presses.

WHONOES

May 20, 2017
You will need to learn some basic electronics first which is not a 5 minute job. Try a book called the art of electronics by Paul Horowitz.

abeluna

Sep 5, 2018
You will need to learn some basic electronics first which is not a 5 minute job. Try a book called the art of electronics by Paul Horowitz.

Yea I figure I could get certified in a couple years. Thanks for the tip on that book :cool:

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
So I've decided to switch gears in my career and learn how to repair electronics. Let's see those outside guys try to offer that kind of service from a thousand miles away. HAHA!

They phone me every month to fix my computer!:p

Suggestion, there is very little money in domestic electronics now, not economical to repair many items, ,the money is in Industrial Technician area, with more and automation, industrial serve techs are in great demand.
For this you should also learn the electrical distribution side as well as electronic.
M.

abeluna

Sep 5, 2018
the money is in Industrial Technician area, with more and automation, industrial serve techs are in great demand.

Wow this is amazing insight. I should learn industry tech as well :D

VenomBallistics

Aug 30, 2018
what must be understood as soon as you can grasp the concept, is that "Electronics" covers a lot of territory.
Linear audio? Embedded digital? radio transmission? .. perhaps power systems?
There's a lot of ballgames going on here and you might want to sit back, crack open a good beer and think about where your passion lies before jumping in.
I started with linear audio and guitar effects. Since you program, you might like to look into embedded digital as it can sorta graft onto what you already know