Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Issues with micro usb connector on circuit board

Logi Devon

Jan 21, 2016
Hey guys,

Just wanted to see if anyone can offer me some help.

I have a device that has a micro usb connection and it stopped working, after taking it apart the component that kept the usb connection fell out.

I've included some pics, and wanted to see if anyone has any advice, can I buy a replacement part and solder it on?

Thanks

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 8
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    360.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    361.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    526.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    356.5 KB · Views: 7

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Spares are available (here for example), but can't you re-use the original part? The problem will be soldering the contacts. It looks as though two pcb contacts have become detached from the pcb, in which case you may have to scrape off the covering from circuit traces to find somewhere to solder to.

Logi Devon

Jan 21, 2016
Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

I guessed that maybe those contacts had snapped off the part and wasn't sure If I needed a new part or not,

So if I scrape off the traces do I need to then use solder on each of the 5 individual contacts?

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
You can solder the new micro usb socket on the pcb. The far left and far right pads appear to be okay. There are two middle pads that came of the board. These pads are for D+ and D- lines. Now you have to solder wires on these two pins on the new micro usb jack and either scrape of the solder mask on the PCB traces to solder them or find where each of the pcb trace goes to (either a component lead or a via) and solder the wires there. In the end you need to verify with a DMM that you have not caused a short circuit anywhere.

Be advised, this process requires a lot of patience as well as experience with the solder iron !

Last edited: