Connect with us

Isolation circuit ???

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by PanheadJeff, Aug 2, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. PanheadJeff

PanheadJeff

Aug 2, 2011
    Gents,
    I need help in designing a circuit that will isolate, or eliminate, the "feedback" that I get on the mp3 player I have on my motorcycle if I attempt to power it with a stepdown 12v/5.6v automotive transformer at the same time I have a 12vdc 100watt amplifier from Shark Radio powered up.
    I have tried to run power directly from the battery to the stepdown transformer but no matter how I try to power the unit from the bike battery I get a "loop back" or "feed back" in the audio that sounds like someone is turning the volume up and down rapidly.
    If I just run the mp3 player on it's own battery there is NO "loop back".
    Is there a fairly simple, and small, circuit that I can build that will eliminate this "feed back" or "loop back" issue.
    I would really like to be able to run my mp3 player off of the bikes electrical system so I don't have to constantly charge the mp3 player's battery.
    BTW... my motorcycle is a 1950 Harley Davidson Panhead that I have owned since 1978. I converted the electrical system over to a 12 Volt system quite a while back and everything works great, EXCEPT this one little issue.

Thanks.
    Panhead Jeff

2. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    Yes, in order to break the noisy ground loop, you'll need a step-down converter with galvanic isolation, something like the PST-DAA1205 that I found here.

3. PanheadJeff

PanheadJeff

Aug 2, 2011
    Thank you VERY much. I've ordered that unit. Will come back and let you know how it works out.

Panhead Jeff

Ask a Question