Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Isolating two outputs from an input

bravehamid

Dec 10, 2014
Hi
I have a 5 volt input
I want two outputs of one 2.5 amperes and the other a few milliamperes I wanted to see how do I isolate these two with each other?
Thankful

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Your post is not very clear, the use of the words input and output here are probably not what you mean. Input and output in this context generally refer to signals. I think you are talking about power and loads.

Here is how I interpret it:

You have a power source of +5V.

You want to power two devices from it, one taking 2.5A and the other a few milliamps.

If this is correct, you do not need to isolate them. Each will take the current it needs. If this is not correct please explain what you are trying to do, including what is the source of 5V and what are the two devices you want to connect to it.

Bob

Wireaddict

Oct 13, 2017
Your post is not very clear, the use of the words input and output here are probably not what you mean. Input and output in this context generally refer to signals. I think you are talking about power and loads.

Here is how I interpret it:

You have a power source of +5V.

You want to power two devices from it, one taking 2.5A and the other a few milliamps.

If this is correct, you do not need to isolate them. Each will take the current it needs. If this is not correct please explain what you are trying to do, including what is the source of 5V and what are the two devices you want to connect to it.

Bob
Hi
I have a 5 volt input
I want two outputs of one 2.5 amperes and the other a few milliamperes I wanted to see how do I isolate these two with each other?
Thankful
I don't see why you need the 2 devices isolated either since they're connected in parallel to the 5V supply however if you need isolation between the 2 devices you can use a 3A or larger diode in series with the 2.5A device (such as an NTE588) & a smaller diode in series with the smaller load such as a 1N4001. However, using diodes in series between the supply & devices will reduce the voltage to each device by about 0.5V due to the internal forward voltage drop in each diode.

Last edited by a moderator: