Connect with us

Is voltage important replacing halogen bulb?

Discussion in 'Electrical Engineering' started by Dugie, Sep 12, 2005.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Dugie

    Dugie Guest


    My wife has a halogen desk lamp with SBE e101956 stamped on it. That's the
    only indication of make or model. It takes one J type bulb, up to 100W, and
    states 120 volt. It also has a dim & a bright setting.

    The new bulb I bought is 130 volts, type J, and it fits and works.

    - does using 130 v, rather than 120, matter?

    - the new bulb states, "Use in systems that do NOT feature a voltage
    transformer connected directly to the main volt supply. (110/120V)."
    I don't understand what this means, and don't know how to determine if the
    lamp has such a transformer.
    How can I tell about the transformer? Does having a two-setting switch
    indicate a transformer? I measured the voltage (without a bulb) at the
    contacts, and it doesn't change when the switch is moved. I think it was
    around 109v.

    Any help is appreciated.

  2. Dugie

    Dugie Guest

    Thanks! As long as it's safe.


Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day