Connect with us

Is unix a real time operating ?

Discussion in 'Electronics Homework Help' started by vead, May 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Scroll to continue with content
  1. vead

vead

Nov 27, 2011
    Is unix a real time operating?
    If answer is no then what is meaning of " unix as real time operating system

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    No

I don't understand this question. As unix is no real time operating system, there is no meaning in using real time operating system in conjunction with unix.

3. vead

vead

Nov 27, 2011
    this is exam question
    write short on following
    1)unix as real time operating system
    2)window as real time operating system

how to write in exam ?

4. Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
    This makes no sense. Neither unix nor windows are real time OS. For use in a real time environment, both systems require special extensions that are not part of the standard unix or windows OS.

5. vead

vead

Nov 27, 2011
    I think window XP , 7, 8 are not real time operating system But I read about window ce
    window ce is real time operating system so can we say window ce as real time operating system

6. Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
    Windows CE is a real time OS, but is a development separate from the desktop windows versions. You didn't explicitly refer to Windos CE before, so please excuse my assuming you were thinking of the desktop Windows - particularly with regard to the comparison to unix.
    Most people will think of the desktop Windows versions unless explicitely guided to Windows CE.

If you have to write about Windows or UNIX as real time operating systems, I think it is advisable to state that these OS are not real time OS. Then you should go on and explain why not. That is: Which feature is it that designates any operating system as "real time" and whose lack makes (desktop) Windows and UNIX non real time OS?
    Hint: The articel on Windows Ce that I linked states this under "features".

7. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Let me just say one word about Windows CE... wince <-- they got that part right.

For RTOS, google QNX.

8. vead

vead

Nov 27, 2011
    look at this pdf file
    there are two statement unix as real time operating system and window as real time operating system

I don't understand what is the meaning of both statement in this pdf file
    can someone tell me what is this ?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  9. Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
    Read the document carefully. It doesn't say that either Windows or Unix are real time OS, it discusses the problems one encounters when trying to use them as real time OS.

vead likes this.
  10. vead

vead

Nov 27, 2011
    Both Windows and Unix can not work as real time operating system.
    whats the reason why can't they do this
    I mean what is difference between general os and rtos in terms of hardware and software design

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  11. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    Read section 2 of that document. That tell you what an RTOS has to have.

Section 3 tells you why Unix fails. Section 4 tells you some things you can do to Unix to make it better.

Section 5 (specifically 5.2) tells you why windows fails. Section 5.3 compares Linus to Windows (to contrast their failures).

Section 6 deals with POSIX which isn't an operating system, it's an interface convention.

Section 7 tells you about some real RTOS's. Three I'm familiar with are QNX, VxWorks, and WinCE. Both are listed.

I really do advise that you read the materials that are given to you because they actually contain useful information and will allow you to answer the questions. There is an activity called "Study" that involves you reading material given to you. I can highly recommend it. If you're having trouble understanding that material, then ask us questions about the study material, not the questions.

If you look at the summary on page 28 of that document you'll find a list of things that you should be conversant with after reading the material. If you're not, you've missed major stuff and you should review it again.

Some of the exercises at the end relate to the material in this document, others seem to extend beyond it (but I've not studied the document in any detail). OK, I looked at one that I was doubtful about and it's answered in this document. So after studying the document you should be able to either answer these from memory or look them up.

Asking us for answers is no shortcut to actual knowledge, you have to reach an understanding yourself.

hevans1944, vead and Harald Kapp like this.
  12. Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
    On behalf of vead (unnecessayr new thread deletred by me):

operating system that provide interface between hardware and application software like windows
    operating system design for different uses
    real time used for fast response time
    real time operating system it has guaranteed to respond in certain time
    general operating system vs real time operating system
    1) timing
    2)scheduling
    3)kernel
    4)priority
    1)timing -
    rtos - it is time deterministic
    gp os - it is non time deterministic
    2)scheduling
    scheduling for os .......?
    scheduling for rtos - rtos use time sharing architecture where each task assigned small slice of time to execute its instruction before switching to another task
    3)kernel ues in both RTOS and general purpose OS
    what is difference between both kernel ?
    4)priority - os will run task with their priority
    priority for general os - general os don't follow priority level strictly
    RTOS follow the priority level strictly

13. Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
    Now that I moved this post: What's the use of this post of your's?

14. vead

vead

Nov 27, 2011
    this is different post.. here I have written short notes about how rtos are different from general operating system

15. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    No, it's exactly the same.

Read my post above (#11)

People who ignore these warnings can find their threads unceremoniously deleted and then (if they persist) may get given a short holiday from Electronics Point which can easily become permanent.

We don't need to read your posts on why RTOS's are different from other types of operating systems. We especially don't need to read them if you're not asking a discernible question.

If you have a question, ask it. But make sure you've read your handout and tried google first. We're not your unpaid tutors.

And obviously this is all about your homework, so that's the section this should have been posted in.

16. vead

vead

Nov 27, 2011
    look at post #12 I have read some material and tried on google THen I have written some short nots

17. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    And what are we supposed to do with that?

Is there a question in there somewhere?

This is Electronics Point, not "Vead's notes for later".

18. vead

vead

Nov 27, 2011
    I am not demanding, don't angery , thanks to all member they all always help me lots

19. Stuart Warner

Stuart Warner

Jun 28, 2014
    I don't think it real time operating system.

20. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    Two month old thread with valid answers up top.

Stuart, there are many types and flavours of Real Time OSes and will give plenty of use examples for them. Once you do a little digging around, it becomes quite clear what a Real Time OS is.
    It's also very hard to call such a broad term like 'Unix' OS or 'Windows' OS Real-time or not, as there are (albeit, in a very limited way) 'real time' variants.

Ask a Question