Connect with us

is this safe?

Discussion in 'Electrical Engineering' started by glenn, Nov 6, 2004.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. glenn

    glenn Guest

    My company has installed a new water heater over our sink (to make tea).
    However, there is a metal switched fused spur directly over the sink which
    feeds the boiler. I thought these had to be a certain distance away from
    people using sinks? Is this safe?
    gm
     
  2. Bob Peterson

    Bob Peterson Guest

    I'm not sure what you mean by "metal switched fused spur" or what country
    you are posting from.
     
  3. There's no distance specified in the regs.
    It requires that services (water and electricity in this case)
    should be suitably protected against hazards likely to arise in
    normal use.
    Probably, unless positioning of the fused connection unit is
    such that it's likely to get splashed in normal use and the
    type of FCU fitted is unsuitable for this.

    Personally, I would also earth-bond the area, but that's not
    a requirement in the regs for this location.
     
  4. Angof

    Angof Guest

    Sounds like he is talking about a UK installation to me. The sink and any
    metal water pipes would be required to be bonded.
     
  5. No they would not. No reqiremet for supplementary bonding in any room other
    than a bathroom.

    Steve Dawson
     
  6. Somewhere in the regs (uk) it states that any you should not be able to
    touch any outlet, spur etc when able to touch sink,taps etc (same as in
    bathrooms) I`m not sure where in the regs it is or even if it still covered
    by the regs, also I think there is a minimum distance of 1 meter.

    I will check on this for you and get back to you.

    GB
     
  7. John Gilmer

    John Gilmer Guest

    One METER?

    Gad, you must have very small people on your side of the pond if you can't
    touch two things separated by one meter at the same time.

    If there is a distance requirement, it's likely more to do with splashing
    water causing (in time) a leakage path than someone touching the plug while
    his other hand is in the basin.

    Usually the real problem is with hand held appliances (hair dryers, shavers)
    or small, plug in radios. These can fall into a basin or tub with water
    or just get wet and become a hazard.
     
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day

-