Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Is this possible ??

Eddie_moramora

Sep 5, 2014
I am new to the world of electronics & have no clue if this is possible but basically I have a small project in mind and I did some research on parts out there.

So what I'm trying to do here is have these parts connected (like in the picture) so that the Hall Effect Sensor acts as an ON switch to trigger the motor (either DC or Servo) then the Flexiforce Pressure Sensor will act as a stop for the motor once it reaches 1lb-2lb but I would still like for the Forward/Reverse button to control the motor even after the pressure is reached by the Flexiforce Pressure Sensor & if possible to have a Battery Indicator that will also act as a Pressure indicator for the (Flexiforce Pressure Sensor) . It would be great to power everything with a Polymer Lithium Ion battery & have it be rechargeable.

I know there's more to this than just connecting parts but thats where I need help first and foremost is this possible ? what kind of breakout board or micro controller will be the most effective?

Any information is much appreciated thank you.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 139

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
You can get this done with any kind of microcontroller. That's not a problem at all.
You can also get this done without a microcontroller by using discrete components.

Which path you take is up to you. Using a microcontroller will allow you to tweak certain behavior after the circuit is built. If you take the other route, you can adjust sensitivity to the sensors by adjusting simple trim-pots.

Can you go into detail about how your device is supposed to function? Any and all details will help.
Will the motor be on long, will the flexi sensors be used together or on different end of travel, will there be a display for each flexi sensor? What kind of display do you want? Feed us and we'll see what can be done ;)

Edit: Smart move on the block diagram it really really helps us out, and not enough people do it.

Eddie_moramora

Sep 5, 2014
Hey Gryd3

So would you recommend me using a microntoller for this project? And if so wich one?

The motor won be on for long just as soon as the Flexi sensors reach there full pressure either being 1lb or 2lb

I would like for both Flexi sensors to be synced together and there display to be the battery indicator so as the pressure is applied to the sensors the "battery indicator" will indicate the increasing pressure and once it reaches it max pontential the motor will stop running

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
So if the motor rotates forward, it will cause pressure on one or both flexi sensors?

How are you with electronics? I can't recommend either direction without knowing your preference.
Microcontrollers are required to be programmed, and if down the road you need to duplicate or repair the circuit it may be more difficult unless you document everything and save the code for the program somewhere safe.
Discrete components will require more parts, but will be easier for a 3rd party or yourself to troubleshoot later because the operation of your circuit will be transparent. Parts can also be swapped in and out without the need to (re)program a microcontroller.

Both have pros and cons. This is a simple device you are wanting to make so I can't tell you which one is 'better'. As the details filter in about how exactly this will work and what it is used for filter in, the recommendation may change.

Eddie_moramora

Sep 5, 2014
Sorry i couldnt get back to you earlier. I aprecciate your response

No the way i would want this system to work is by using the Hall Effect sensor as an ON switch that will make the motor rotate forward. My understanding of the Hall Effect Sensor is that it acts like a switch that once it passes a magnet of some sort. is this correct ? and once the Hall Effect Sensor is triggered it will let the motor rotate forward until pressure is applied to the Flexiforce sensor wich will slow down/ stop the motor

I am not familiar with electronics this is my first project that has anything to do with elctronics but now i understand what you mean about deciding between the microcontroller and using the other option.

if there still is any doubt about how this system functions i wouldnt mind answering it, thank you

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Only additional question I have is the use of the second flexi sensor.
I assume they will be used as a pair. The hall effect sensor will make the motor move forward until the sensors begin to measure pressure, in which case the motor will turn off and not move again until the 'override' buttons are pushed. The motor will only automatically move forward (not backward) when the hall effect sensor is triggered.
When the hall effect sensor is no longer triggered, do you want the motor to stop, or continue moving until reset by the buttons or flexi sensors?

Eddie_moramora

Sep 5, 2014
Yes the flexi sensors will be paired and correct thats the way it will work . I would want the motor to continúe moving after the Hall effect is triggered & have it reset with the Flexi sensors .. the forward and reverse buttons will act as a way to rotate the motor after the Flexi sensors have reached there pressure and stop the motor .

So where would you recommend me starting ?

Thanks again

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Hi Eddie. Could you clarify a few points.

Does the motor speed need to be variable at all?

Are the "forward" and "reverse" pushbuttons momentary controls that operate the motor at full speed regardless of the Hall sensor and the Flexiforce sensors?

Do you want the controller to always run the motor in the forward direction when triggered by the Hall sensor?

Why are there two Flexiforce sensors? How do they interact? Do you want the automatic motor travel to be stopped when either of the sensors reach their limit? Or only when both reach their limit?

Eddie_moramora

Sep 5, 2014
Hey KrisBlueNZ

No the motor doesn't have to be variable speed

No the forward and reverse would only be used after the Hall effect sensor is triggered and stopped by the Flexi sensors

Yes I would want the controlled to only run the motor forward when the Hall effect sensor is triggered

I would need both Flexi sensors. & it will stop the motor when both paired Flexi sensors reach there limit

Is there a way to have a battery indicator ? ( as in the picture I linked ) & would I be able to use it as well for a "pressure indicator" for the Flexi sensors? Maybe have a two color led that will indicate "pressure " & " battery life" ?

Any help is appreciated thanks