Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Is this possible ?

kool626106

Oct 31, 2011
Ok just to say before all of you start laughing i know nothing about electronics thats why i came here to ask and hopefully learn a bit :D

Ok so basically i want to know if this would work ,

Have a device which would control the current of electricity lets say on a light and then it would be connected to a bluetooth device that would like control how much electricity is going to the light and have options like / off / %10 / %50 and so on then the bluetooth device would conect to a lcd screen / remote that will be able to control it,

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
Can this be done

Hi welcome to the forum. Any thing is possible, its the complexity of a project, in this case the different interfacing, its not one for me, but i expect another member can help, anything is possible.
Dave.

kool626106

Oct 31, 2011
Hey thanks for the welcome mate. I wanted to know because i have this idea that could be good but i dont know where to start because i know nothing to do with electronics / circuits / programming.

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
welcome the device seems SEEMS easy if you break it down. however I must point out "pairing" devices with bluetooth is one way to go but there are heaps of frequencies you can use.
first of all a light dimmer or motor speed controller circuit would be a good start. then look at the way you want to control it, that is do you have a few preset levels like off/ 25/ 50/75/100% or would you prefer analogue control like the volume knob on a stereo?
the latter is hard work. the former you can get kits for.
nothing is too hard if you have the time and patience for it, so don't feel disheartend when you start working on this project.
just a quick query as to what power level you want to use? 12v or mains?

kool626106

Oct 31, 2011
BT means bluetooth

Well im not planing on making this because i know nothing about electronics but i had a cool idea that involves bluetooth / Here it goes basicly have a hub that would be the main controler of all devices this will use wifi and also bluetooth / There will be a lcd screen that connects to the Hub via BT and then you can send commands to the hub from the lcd screen and then once the hub has received the command it will look at it and see what device it is for then send the command to the following device in this case say the Light dimmer. So i was thinking you could control the lights via a lcd screen but what if you could have different devices like somthing that turns the tv on and off somthing that could turn all lights off and ect so basicly you can control your house via a lcd screen . Sorry for no grammer but i was rushing heres a pic to break down what i said.
G8znP.jpg

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
there are already devices that do this. dunno if via bluetooth.
I live in australia and there is a device here that is a simple on/off remote. changing that to a variable resistor for light dimming is cool but would only work on certain lights. a fluro for example would start flickering if current/voltage is too low and unless you own the house and are able to change the light switch into a light switch with reciever then this would become complicated if not messy when trying to put the covers back on the light(I am thinking that is the only place that a renter would be able to put it, in between fitting and light)
there are items that let you automate your house via a laptop and have been used as home security for years now. by turning on lights, t.v.'s stereos etc it looks as though you are home when you are holidaying.
if you watch "big bang theory" sheldon and leonard automate certain devices in their house and allow access to many people all over the world.
the idea is great but there is already alot of it out there. finding it cheaply is the hard part.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
If I were looking to do this, I would probably start by investigating devices that interface to Arduinos via bluetooth.

Then I would look at projects controlling lamps with an Arduino.

However there are a significant number of remote controlled lamps, some are actually bulbs with the smarts built in! Here is just one example.

It all comes down to whether you want to build it yourself or not.

Remember that interfacing electronics to your mains (say to control a lamp) is potentially very dangerous.