Connect with us

Is this capacitor blown?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by jeremy9983, Apr 7, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. jeremy9983

jeremy9983

Apr 7, 2013
    Hello, I have a reference studio monitor (Mackie MR8 - http://www.amazon.com/Mackie-MR8-Reference-Monitor-Speaker/dp/B0012RI95I) that has begun to very loudly buzz all of the time, even when all of the inputs are disconnected and it is just receiving power.

I have very limited electrical experience, but I disassembled it, and it looks like one of the main capacitors is blown. I'm not 100% sure on this, so I just wanted to get a quick second opinion before I order a replacement / attempt to solder in a new one.

I have a little album with pictures here https://plus.google.com/photos/106702163784119618912/albums/5863905903119149185
    (note: on the side view closeups, the capacitor in question is the one on the right)

And I'll go ahead and attach a couple of images just in case.

Any thoughts or insights would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. jener8tionx

jener8tionx

Apr 6, 2013
    Yes, that cap is blown. If it were me, Id' replace both of the black caps. They are electrolytic caps and are therefore polarized. When you put the new ones in, make sure the negative side is put back in the same way.

3. jeremy9983

jeremy9983

Apr 7, 2013
    Thanks! Going to go ahead and order / replace those two capacitors.

4. jener8tionx

jener8tionx

Apr 6, 2013
    Make sure you get a look at other components to make sure nothing else was affected by this capacitor's failure, or actually caused the failure.

Ask a Question