Connect with us

Is this AC adapter close enough?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by audionautic, May 22, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. audionautic

audionautic

May 22, 2011
    Repairing a nixie tube clock, Karlsson model KA2000. Found the identical tube, ZM1080 nixie, and swapped that out for the shattered tube. Sometime between the accident that broke the clock, and the repair, I misplaced the transformer. Local electronics store is great, but doesn't have an exact match for what the clock's manual describes. Please keep in mind that the clock is a European-made design, but worked for many years here on STD household 115v. Manual states:
    "transformer: AC-AC, PRI. 230V-50Hz, 6.5W,
    SEC 9V-300mA. 2.7VA"

This is what i have that I found from an old set of cordless phones (from the label):
    "input: 120V AC/60 Hz/52mA
    Output: 9.5V AC/ 300mA"

I'm thinking this is probably fine, but am just being cautious about that extra .5V Of output, before I plug it in. Also, I don't know if the polarity is correct, or important, since the product manual doesn't state center pin pos or neg.

What do you think?
    Thanks.

T

2. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    The manual states AC output - which has no polarity. The original adapter running on half mains voltage gave you more like 4.5-5V AC instead of 9.
    It must be an incredibly tolerant circuit to be able to work on half the design voltage. Don't worry about that half Volt, it won't matter (but don't sue me).

3. audionautic

audionautic

May 22, 2011
    The manual actually states, in the breif operating instructions, to "plug the transformer into a 110-220V wall socket."
    There is what I think is a transformer in the clock also, that is approx the size and wt of the AC adapter. If that tells us anything.
    Thanks,
    T

4. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    I don't know about any AC-AC adapters that switches mains voltage automatically. Could there have been a manual switch in/on the original adapter?
    If not then the internal regulating circuitry must be very adaptive.
    Nixie tubes needs a much higher voltage than the digital IC's so I'm not surprised they used a transformer internally to make the high voltage.

5. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    A Nixie tube requires about 100V through a resistor to run so there is likely to be a transformer to suit, Perhaps this transforms from 9V to about 100V.

6. audionautic

audionautic

May 22, 2011
    It works fine.
    Will check that the adapter isn't getting hot in a few more minutes, but it set and operates correctly. Thanks for the help. Much aprreciated!

7. audionautic

audionautic

May 22, 2011
    Wall-mounted and integral transformers appear barely warm to the touch after 1 hour+.
    Nixie tubes are about the neatest little gadgets going. Very cool clock. My son and I are going to build two identical IN-14 based nixie kits side-by-side as our next project. Will both be getting some soldering practice in beforehand, I think, though. Thanks, Tom

Ask a Question