Connect with us

Is this a screen issue or another issue?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by mxxzcv, Jul 23, 2019.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. mxxzcv

mxxzcv

Jul 23, 2019
    Hi, thanks for visiting my thread. I have a perfectly fine Dell laptop only for the fact that its screen is malfunctioning. The left side of the screen is darker, distorted and also flickering. See attached picture (the distortion and flickering isn't really visible in the picture but it's there a lot). The screen looks like this regardless of what's displayed, wether it's Windows, Ubuntu or the boot screen, it always looks like this. Also, a connected external screen displays a normal image.

Before I possibly order a new screen for nothing, I'd like to know if anyone knows if this could be a pure screen issue or another issue. It's probably hard to tell from a distance but maybe one of you have seen this kinda behaviour before and can tell which component is responsible for this.
    vostro-.jpg
    ( https://imgur.com/a/k4eyPWB )
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  2. Kabelsalat

Kabelsalat

Jul 5, 2011
    I'll assume the monitor is the faulty part.

Have it being like this for a long time? Have you had other OS installed on that computer and did it behave the same then?

mxxzcv likes this.
  3. mxxzcv

mxxzcv

Jul 23, 2019
    Yes it's been like this for a while. Yeah, every OS shows the same screen. It also looks like this during pre boot / post.

4. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    most lappy's can take an external screen ....
    have you tried this .... it would prove that the main processor and graphics driver are OK

it would be the obvious first diagnosis step

mxxzcv likes this.
  5. mxxzcv

mxxzcv

Jul 23, 2019
    Yeah checked that, external screen looks normal.

davenn likes this.
  6. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    I presume the question you're asking is "will a new screen fix this?"

The problem may be "the screen", but external to what you buy when you get a replacement screen.

I would guess that the problem is in the controller stuff for the screen. Some of this controller stuff is integrated with the screen (this is typically the stuff for controlling the actual pixels). However, on a separate monitor there is also an additional circuit board that converts the incoming signal to a form that can be displayed on the screen. Is there something like this in your laptop -- I don't know. It is quite possible that the controller stuff that is faulty is not integral to the screen.

mxxzcv likes this.
  7. mxxzcv

mxxzcv

Jul 23, 2019
    That's what I'm asking indeed :) Mmm than I guess the only way to find out is to just buy a new screen and hope for the best. Thanks for the replys.

8. Martaine2005

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
    I am only in my early 50s. Is this going to happen to me too?:eek:

Martin

9. mxxzcv

mxxzcv

Jul 23, 2019
    Good news. I got the replacement screen today, replaced the screen and it fixed the issue :)

(*steve*) and davenn like this.
Ask a Question