Connect with us

Is there a way to measure voltage without losses?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Joseph993, Apr 26, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Joseph993

Joseph993

Apr 26, 2012
    I need to find the voltage reading of a nickel cadmium cell without losses. As the nickel cadmium has 22 cells. the losses will be accumulated which is something that i do not want. Please help!

2. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    I presume that you need to measure the voltage of a battery with 22 cells in series.
    A digital voltmeter with an input resistance of 10M will take very little current which will be lower than the battery internal loss.
    Analogue meters will take much more current depending on the movement sensitivity.

3. GreenGiant

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
    along with what duke said

Some DMM's have the ability of switching to a higher input impedance usually >10G
    from all the I have seen this is for lower voltages (Fluke 8808A its for <2V, and Agilent 34410A its for <10V)

That will be virtually no loss whatsoever

The other alternative which will give you a slightly less accurate reading is get a huge resistor and a smaller one (say a 10G, and a 100K) and measure across the smaller one, take that reading and reverse the math for a voltage divider and youll get the approximate voltage (within 10% most likely)
    This will have the load impedance large enough that it will not drain the battery at all.

Ask a Question