Connect with us

Is the microphone input on a mixer a normally closed circuit?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Electric Al, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Electric Al

Electric Al

Jan 16, 2014
    Is the microphone input on a mixer a normally closed circuit ?

2. AnalogKid

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
    What do you mean by "normally closed"? That usually is a term related to relay and switch contacts. If you mean - is the input to a mixer shorted to ground when nothing is plugged in, the answer is maybe but probably not, and it depends on the input connector type.

What mixer? Any particular make/model?

ak

3. Electric Al

Electric Al

Jan 16, 2014
    You are correct ! I am a retired electrical contractor .

I just basically wanted to know if a foot pedal that shorts out between pin 2 and 3 of the mic XLR cord will damage the mixer (Samson MPL 1502)

The switch does exactly what a built in mic switch does . My Shure SM58 does not have a switch !

4. AnalogKid

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
    Should not be a problem, especially if the mixer is not providing phantom power.

ak

5. Electric Al

Electric Al

Jan 16, 2014
    Thanks for the reassurance , I will make sure the switch for phantom power ( on the back of the mixer ) is left in the off position .

AL . :)

6. Electric Al

Electric Al

Jan 16, 2014

This is what I am making !

Attached Files:

7. Audioguru

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
    The switch must be connected with shielded microphone cable.
    The switch should have gold plated contacts (it costs the same as high current silver contacts) because when the silver tarnishes then it will not short a mic signal.

Ask a Question