Connect with us

Is the capacitor damaged?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by sgvaibhav, Jul 7, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. sgvaibhav

sgvaibhav

Jul 7, 2013
    Hi

I am not very much into electrical or electronic components.

Recently, i have been facing problems from my set top box.
    It does not process the video properly.
    The video blinks, flickers, sometimes its so bad, that the screen appears black. However at the same time, the audio is completely disrupted, so it sounds like a problem with the video processing unit.
    I did all the checks and confirmed that the problem is "in the set top box", and not in the TV or reception.

The unit is quite old, at-least 4 years old.

There is lots of blackening on the casing, inside and outside of the set top box. This must be due to overheating or something getting fried. "Looks burnt"

So I opened up the unit. I have my doubts of bad capacitor, however as i said, I am not much into electronics, so I am posting pictures, so you guys can tell if the capacitor is bad or not.

The pictures are in this link-
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7sy4cemzrr5ub6w/sbFVGqU9oY

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    hi there,
    welcome to the forums :)

yup the top is bulging
    time to replace it, take note of its value in uF, its voltage and its temp ratings

Dave

3. sgvaibhav

sgvaibhav

Jul 7, 2013
    Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply.
    This makes me happy, since the problem is diagnosed and sounds like cheap fix.
    I guess it should cost no more than $3-$5.

Ask a Question