Connect with us

Is Nickel Plated Stainless Steel Resistant to Ammonium Persulfate Etching

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Logan Cooper, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Logan Cooper

Logan Cooper

Feb 5, 2015
    Hey all!

So its my 30 year in highschool ELT class and I've decided to leave a piece of me to better the classroom so to speak. Currently we etch 20-50 PCBs a day. My idea is to create the mother of all etching tanks as what we have now is rather slow and based off lego... yeah. So my plan is to create an etching tank able to accommodate 20+ small PCBs and etch them as fast as possible. So my question is this;

I would like to use a frying basket like this one here: http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/pinch/fbr-136/p1515732.aspx to expose the PCBs to our ammonium persulfate etching solution while preventing them from falling into the bin. It does not say what the basket is made of but I assume its either steel or cheap stainless. It is plated with nickel. Will it the ammonium persulfate dissolve the frying basket?

2. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    Can you not just use plastic?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammonium_persulfate#Uses

3. Logan Cooper

Logan Cooper

Feb 5, 2015
    So it will damage iron and nickel, So probably then is my guess. I can use plastic, i'm just looking for the most durable solution for gr10 to 12 students. We have a plastic tray type thing but its like I said held together by lego and elastic bands

4. Arouse1973

Arouse1973 Adam

Dec 18, 2013
    It is a peroxgen so it can disolve metal. Like copper, Iron , zinc and oh yeah nickel.
    Adam

5. chopnhack

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
    This may sound stupid, but look into a product called plasti-dip. Call them up and see if their product would be chemically compatible with what you intend to use. http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Contact_Us

If it is, coat the basket several times with enough time in between coats to dry thoroughly.

6. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    Many PlastiDip products don't ship to Canada :(
    I tried a while back to get some casting resin...

7. chopnhack

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
    How about through Amazon?

8. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    Not sure.. Never shopped from Amazon...
    The issue with shipping is due to it crossing the boarder. Many chemicals can't get shipped.
    Of course if I really really wanted it, I could ship it to Sumas, WA and take a drive to carry it across myself.

9. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    I doubt if the stainless steel is plated with nickel. What would be the purpose of this?

Ask a Question