Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Is it possible to etch pre drilled proto board

Wiginometry

Nov 29, 2017
I have a few pieces of proto/circuit board that are predrilled but have no solder points on either side.

My question is can I etch these boards and if so what would be the best method do so

They came from an old radio shack that was going out of business I didn't realize that they didn't have solder points when I bought them

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
It sounds like you have matrix board.

Etching removes the copper in areas you don't want it. Martix board has no copper (or many variants don't -- some have pads). In any case, there is no excess copper to remove.

Building projects on matrix board isn't too hard. It essentially provides the support for the components and you wire them up on the reverse side of the board.

Wiginometry

Nov 29, 2017
Ok yea I did not think that one through all the way... ( didn't Irish my coffee enough before typing that)

I was actually wondering of essentially electroplating the matrix boards
Though the real problem from that comes from there being no metal to electroplate on the board to begin with...

And higher powers that be this will probably byte me in the rear but... I hope you can at least assume what I mean by that

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
If you look at how commercial boards are made (it's essentially an additive process) then the answer is yes.

However... It is most definitely NOT simple.

Wiginometry

Nov 29, 2017
If you look at how commercial boards are made (it's essentially an additive process) then the answer is yes.

However... It is most definitely NOT simple.

Lol I love making life more difficult for myself it tends to be fun to learn and listen to the wife tell me that I get nuttier by the day....actually she doesn't say that she just gets mad that I spend the money she wanted to spend.... or something like that I don't know I wasn't really paying attention...