Connect with us

Is it possible to buy or create a very sensitive reed switch?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by vilainoiseau, Nov 5, 2012.

1. vilainoiseau

vilainoiseau

Nov 5, 2012
    I want to create senors that turn some LED's on(or off) when a small magnet comes close (2-6 inches). I want to create these sensors for a laser tag like game only with Nerf Vortex disk guns with a small magnet embedded in the disk. The magnet would probably have to weigh no more than a penny.
    Thanks.

2. galaxy

galaxy

Nov 3, 2012
    I think you may find that a reed switch won't be suitable, would have to be a big magnetic field and they are relatively slow to re-act.. A Hall effect device may be better, but the range is still a problem,

What about RFID tags. They can be passive, and are small and lightweight, way less than a penny (I am in Australia and we don't have penny's, but I think I get the idea).

Some of the RFID systems can have quite large detection ranges. Think security tags in stores and RFID detection of rail cars etc.

3. vilainoiseau

vilainoiseau

Nov 5, 2012
    Thanks Galaxy, that sounds like it will be a good option. There are some small and cheap RFID tags on ebay. I just need to find some relatively cheap RFID sensors (around $10 USD if possible) that can be used to switch the LED's lights on or off.

Ask a Question