Connect with us

IR Receptor for Arduino

Discussion in 'Microcontrollers, Programming and IoT' started by The Tourist, Oct 14, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. The Tourist

The Tourist

Oct 14, 2016
    Hey,

I wanna try to decode the buttons of my TV remote control, but for that I will need an IR receptor, which currently I don't have. Except for a strange little piece I found on my home today which apparently has a TSOP integrated to it on one side and the other side has a P2 output. I got no idea what's the use of that.

This one:

IMG-20161012-WA0001.jpg

But I was wondering... can I still use it somehow? Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2016
  2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    what is a P2 entrance ??

3. The Tourist

The Tourist

Oct 14, 2016
    Whoops... I used the wrong word right there, my bad. I meant a P2 output, exactly like the ones found on headphones cables.

P.S.: Is it possible to edit threads?

4. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    that didn't really help
    What is a P2 outlet ??

yes it is but for a limited time after the post ... cant remember exactly .. several hours

I will edit you thread for you ... but you still need to clarify the P2 thing
    in 45 yrs of electronics, I have never heard of such a description

Dave

5. The Tourist

The Tourist

Oct 14, 2016
    Ok, I can't find a way to be clearer than that. So here goes: this is the P2 plug/jack I mentioned.

plugp2-4listras.jpg :

6. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    OK no probs, as I said, I have never heard them referred to as that. They are just a standard 4 contact, 3.5 mm TRRS connector.
    out of curiosity, where did you hear the P2 naming ?

Dave

7. hevans1944

hevans1944 Hop - AC8NS

Jun 21, 2012
    Depends on your skill level and whether it contains an infrared sensor. Most remotes (except Bluetooth) use pulse-width modulated infrared transmitters. If you have an oscilloscope you can "see" these "codes" with just about any IR photo-diode. Amplifying and decoding the pulse trains is a whole 'nother matter. You can buy modules that will do this for you, and the thingy you have may include such a module, which would explain why it has a 4-wire connection to the phone plug you are calling a P2 (whatever that is).

Much more information is needed. How advanced is your electronics capability? Have you built circuits "from scratch" using discrete components? What kind of test equipment do you have? Answer these questions and we will be able to offer better advice.

8. The Tourist

The Tourist

Oct 14, 2016
    Well, we use this denomination all the time here in Brazil. I thought it was valid worldwide.

9. The Tourist

The Tourist

Oct 14, 2016
    I'm a beginner in electronics. I started using microcontrollers (Arduino) very recently and never built a circuit outta scratch. All I wanted was a TSOP (a photoreceptor) with connections to one of the Arduino's digital pins, another to the power source (5v) and the other to ground. How can I make that "thingy", the TRRS connector (thanks, davenn) work combined with my board?

Ask a Question