Connect with us

IR IMAGING DEVICE on the cheap

Discussion in 'LEDs and Optoelectronics' started by HANKMARS, Jan 5, 2020.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. HANKMARS

HANKMARS

Jul 28, 2019
    Thanks for the reference. The materials this article suggests to use as an IR filter may impede the transmission of IR energy so as to make realtime observation impractical with the suggested design. Perhaps polarized sunglasses lens, one turned perpendicular, may offer enough blocking of visible light but readily pass infrared.

2. HANKMARS

HANKMARS

Jul 28, 2019
    Interesting video. However, I believe I did hear mention of a fireball. Not a desired side effect. When the person in the video was desoldering the shorted capacitor, he was heat sinking the heat gun energy by grasping the component with tweezers prior to the solder becoming molten resulting in having to apply so much heat as to ignite the bubble of alcohol fumes. Maybe methyline chloride (dimethyl chloride) could be substituted for the alcohol. Please check flammability before trying it though. Seems like boiling point was around 75º Celsius.

3. Tha fios agaibh

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
    I use the technique to find the location of a short by briefly applying power with current limited, and increasing until the location is evident.
    It is not wise to try to solder with power supplied or before the alcohol has evaporated.

HANKMARS likes this.
  4. HANKMARS

HANKMARS

Jul 28, 2019
    The device in a following photo was inline with what I refer to as the objective lens. It resides between the objective lens and the sensor plate of a security camera that I have disassembled. I will apply power to this component's leads and make an observation of the translucent film which it holds. This particular security camera would change display image from a color image to a black and white image when ambient light fell to a certain level. At the same time, an array of IR LEDs would illuminate. My immediate quandary concerns the voltage that this device desires. 5 volts? 12 volts? I was going to power up the main section of the camera's electronics and take a reading at the leads 2 pin plug, but I packed that section away during my move and have yet to find it. Maybe I'll apply 5 volts to begin with and see if I detect any action. DSCF2541 (2).JPG DSCF2540 (2).JPG THRU PIC ÷ 10 1.1.jpg Third photo is looking though inactivated filter film.

Ask a Question