Connect with us

IR emitter for my Camera

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by ColdRed, Feb 2, 2013.

1. ColdRed

ColdRed

Feb 2, 2013
    Hi All

I've just registered so hello to you.
    I'm not Electronic savvy at all but i'm looking for some help.

What i'm hoping to do is to do some time lapse photography with my Sony NEX5 camera
    I bought an App for Android for my Samsung Galaxy S2 which you can set interval of photo taking and ammount of pictures so you can create time lapse using the IR reciever on the Camera.
    I looked into getting a IR transmitter with a 3.5mm plug that goes in the Audio output of the phone which would then fire the camera. However it didn't work and after some reading it appears that the output on the phone is not strong enough to drive the LEDS. So back to square one

I also bought a http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Infrared-Control-Milnolta-IRMT-DSLR1/dp/B002VM49KC for photogrpahy use anyway.

So this got me thinking though. If i was to buy a lead and a 3.5mm jack plug would it be possible to solder the connectors to the remote innards some how and would this work?

I wouldn't know where to begin to do this if it would indeed work so if you have any guidance on this i would very much appreciate it.

Thank you for your time

2. Yoa01

Yoa01

Jun 18, 2012
    Let me get this straight, you want to use an app to trigger an IR signal that would then be recieved by your camera, thus taking a picture, right?

If so, then it is possible that you could connect the transmitter and plug and use the phone to trigger the signal through the transmitter, but you would need to the output of the phone to be amplified then sent into a voltage-controlled switch, which would replace the transmitter's switch. That would send a signal to your camera (which I assume is a signal telling the camera to take a shot) and take a shot. I may be wrong, though, as I mainly deal with audio synthesis electronics. I'd wait for someone else to answer.

However, it can be done manually as well. If you need a series of a few quick pics, your camera's built-in Continuous Shooting mode will help. If it's taking place over minutes or hours, why not do it manually?

3. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
Ask a Question