Connect with us

ir communication question

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Pini Deri, May 15, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Pini Deri

Pini Deri

May 11, 2014
    I built an IR communication system . the transmitter controlled by arduino and modulated in 38Khz. the reciever is also controlled by arduino (another one) and demodulting the transmitter signals. everything is great so far. now i want to enlarge the communication range up to 1 kilometer and even farther. how can i reach this range (not involving any optics - telescope and ect.) by replacing to a very powerful led?
    or optics is necessary for this kind of ranges?

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    You will need a laser diode for this range. Or a good optic to bundle the beam from an LED, although I doubt that any affordable optic is good enough for 1km.
    You will also have to observe the local regulations concerning the use of laser light in the open (limited power, safety measures etc.).

3. Pini Deri

Pini Deri

May 11, 2014
    Thank you for your reply.

Do you think that i can use my ir protocol for laser ?

4. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    I can't say for sure because I don't know your protocol. Probably yes. Since with increased range the probability of transmission errors rises, you may need to add some error detection and correction to your protocol.

Ask a Question