Connect with us

ipod fell in pool

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by jimster54, Jun 14, 2009.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. jimster54

    jimster54

    2
    0
    Jun 14, 2009
    it only got half wet, but still the visual started to go crazy. i removed the batteries and later bathed it in isopropyl alcohol for ten minutes(of jiggling) then set it on something very warm(protected by cloths) for a half hour. today i read something that said i should have used distilled water, then heat. i also read, and did the act if putting it in the sun in a sealed jar of rice to suck the remaining moistue out. will the solder corrode and ruin it eventually?
     
  2. Resqueline

    Resqueline

    2,848
    2
    Jul 31, 2009
    Isopropyl alcohol is a good remedy for sweet-water rescues, it's electronics-safe, it absorbs water, and then you shake it off - and the rest evaporates quickly. Don't exeed 70 deg C by all means, better to keep it at 45 deg C & spend more time; a day or two. If you are able to open it up (& use compressed air) - all the better. A very closed case will take a long time to dry out.
    The amount of damage depends on the time it spends in a water-wet state with battery power present.
    If salt water is encountered then sweet water is the only way to wash away the salt, isopropyl won't do it. Then use isopropyl after the sweet water.
    Distilled water is best of course but harder to get in the short time you have at your disposal.
    If some salt remains then problems may occur later, in particular in damp weather.
    I guess your case will turn out ok, even in the long run.
     
  3. jimster54

    jimster54

    2
    0
    Jun 14, 2009
    it turned out ok

    i was able to google disassembly pointers then use a pencil eraser on the board contacts. now it works like new. thanks.
     
  4. neon

    neon

    1,325
    0
    Oct 21, 2006
    Do not use alcohol dumb idea it evapores at room temperature leaving behind more water. I instead suggest dissasamble it as much as you can remove the battery for sure then women air dryer at low heat 16 " away and blow dry it. . after that there are chemicals that you can use to remove chlorine dirt whatever CHEMTRONICS FLUX REMOVER i sugest Saved my phones actualy twice.
     
  5. tron-ee

    tron-ee

    12
    0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Neon's correct...however, I've recovered several electronic gadgets which have fallen into, toilets, pools, etc. I've found that taking the battery out immediately, then spraying the instrument with a displacing, non-wetting Tech-Spray is the best, as it is under pressure, yet displaces both the atmosphere AND any residual water whether condensate or toilet. Make absolutely certain that the instrument is dry. Good luck...
     
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day

-