Maker Pro
Maker Pro

IPL Repair

Iansky

Jan 24, 2015
My friends wife purchased a Ellipse IPL machine many years ago, she is going to sell the machine because she is closing the business.
This machine comes with 4 applicators apart from one they all work, they asked me to find out because Ellipse charge heaven and earth, took a lamp from the one that did not work and tried that lamp in one of the ones that did work, the lamp light up.
I then looked at the connector, this plugs into the front of the machine when the machine is switched on,it fills the capacitors, when the capacitors are ready a treat prompt comes up, you press the trigger and the lamp flashes.
When I opend the connector I found that the red wire had come outwere it had been soldered in many years ago, the black one was also in a bad way.
I made myself a jig to hold the connector in place,cleaned the pot were the wires would go, I then put a bit of solder into the pot, put a bit of solder on to the wire, I also snipped the wires back so that clean wire was exposed.
They are a good fit, no solder spill touching the other pins, still does not work, what I did notice the soldering iron took a long time to melt the old solder, the solder that I used was one that you can buy in any DIY shop.
I melted the solder I used on to a steel sheet, then used my soldering iron to see how long it would take to make it run, it did not take long.
The power in these IPL are very high 220 to 400 volts, been reading up about solder and you can various types, the solder I used was very thin.
If I used solder that was not suitable would that be why the lamp is not lighting up, should I use high energy good conductive solder.
What made me think was the old solder took a long time to flow with my soldering iron, but has i said it did not take a look time to make the solder I used to flow.
There must be reason

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Hi there and welcome to Electronics Point :)

It would have saved me some time if you had told us what IPL was. It seems to be "Intense Pulsed Light", used for cosmetic and therapeutic skin treatments including hair removal. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intense_pulsed_light

Can you start by listing the model numbers of all of the parts of the system, and the part numbers and markings of any important components, and uploading photos of all relevant sections.

I don't know if we have anyone with experience of IPL equipment here, but we will try to help anyway.

Iansky

Jan 24, 2015
Hi there and welcome to Electronics Point :)

It would have saved me some time if you had told us what IPL was. It seems to be "Intense Pulsed Light", used for cosmetic and therapeutic skin treatments including hair removal. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intense_pulsed_light

Can you start by listing the model numbers of all of the parts of the system, and the part numbers and markings of any important components, and uploading photos of all relevant sections.

I don't know if we have anyone with experience of IPL equipment here, but we will try to help anyway.
Sorry about not informing you about IPL, we unsoldered the one I done we then used a higher rated solder so far so good will keep,you posted.
Thanks