Maker Pro
Maker Pro

iPhone pulse (newbie here)

Kadin

Sep 13, 2017
Hi!
I know nothing about electronics but had an interesting idea to build a device for an iPhone. What I am wondering is how complicated it would be to build.

I see there is an iPhone fan on the market so I know it is possible... what would it entail to create a mini engine that the iPhone would send a pulse to in order to spin the motor in pulses... say 1/2 turn of the motor in 5 second increments?

I hope this is the right place to post or maybe I should be asking in some type of programming forum?

Thanks so much!
Kadin

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
You could (ab)use the audio output of the phone. Attach a simple motor driver circuit to the audio output (just one channel). Create a PWM signal to drive the motor at the desired speed.
I recommend you use an external battery to supply power to the motor to minimize the load on your phone's battery.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
You could (ab)use the audio output of the phone
Assuming it's a model with direct access and not those 'headphone-socket-free' versions!

A simple tone detector (NE567?) could be used to detect a given tone and operate the motor. More complicated still would be the use of CTCSS-like system or even the two-tone dialling system where there are (or used to be...) chips dedicated to the tone generation and decoding.