Connect with us

iphone 3 a/c adapter question

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by littleguydallas, Jul 28, 2010.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. littleguydallas

littleguydallas

Jul 28, 2010
    I have the a/c adapter for my Iphone 3 and one of the ends that plugs into socket has broke off. The question is I am at a company that we have tons of nextel phones that we charge up daily. To be cheap I was wanting to cut the end off of one of the nextel a/c adapters and cut mine off and use my end. On ours with the nextel everything reads the same except on the output mine reads
    output dc5.0v 1000mA + 5%
    nextel reads
    output dc5.ov 800a
    Would this work except for maybe take longer to charge :confused:

2. John_D

John_D

Jul 29, 2010
    Lower amperage generally just means slower charging, though some devices will simply refuse to charge on low current (Kindle, I'm looking at you). You can do what you're planning, but make sure you get the polarity right.

Also, don't be too sure this is a money saver. You can buy an iPhone charger for as little as $3 on Amazon.

3. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    The iPhone also has some interesting requirements for the data pins or it won't charge either. You can find that information on the internet.

Given that the max power available from normal USB ports is 500mA, I would think that the 800mA adapter might be fine.

Ask a Question