Connect with us

Ionizer vs. static noise

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Habibie, Apr 22, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Habibie

Habibie

Apr 22, 2017
    Is it normal for a new ionizer to emit static noise, especially when a palm is about 2" away from the ionizer?

2. 73's de Edd

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
    Yup . . . . you are starting to encroach upon corona range . . .

3. Habibie

Habibie

Apr 22, 2017
    That certainly does not sound good. A corona discharge will give some bad rep on an ionizer, won't it?

4. 73's de Edd

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
    Test . .of intensity:

Place your thumb right up against for about 15 seconds and then rapidly retract to see it you smell ozone odor from it.
    If not . . . . . its not a severely intense field.

5. Habibie

Habibie

Apr 22, 2017
    I did what you said and did smell something (don't know what ozone odor smells like what).

6. 73's de Edd

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
    That is what you smell after a close lightning strike, or if working with electricity and arcing or sparking or electrical contacts arcing occcurs . . . once you smell it . . . . it's sort of locked in your olfactory memory and you don't forget it.

7. Habibie

Habibie

Apr 22, 2017
    IC. But, I can tell the odor smells like someone who had been in an A/C car for a while and comes out passing through me.

8. Habibie

Habibie

Apr 22, 2017
    So, does that mean my ionizer is OK or bad?

Ask a Question