Connect with us

ionic mist/fog makers

Discussion in 'Electronic Basics' started by Brandon, Dec 10, 2003.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Brandon

    Brandon Guest

    This may be off topic, but I looking for information on the following...

    I am speaking of these new Ionic mist machines that are being sold. Glass
    bowl filled with water uses an electric oscillator of some sort to produce a
    cool fog like mist. They also claim that these units produce negatively
    charged ions and help clean the air, any truth to this?

    I am curious as to how the device works, how simple it is, and if it would
    be possible to make one, perhaps on a larger scale in order to produce
    larger volumes of mist/fog. The application would be for high humidly
    greenhouses/grow rooms( no I am not growing pot) or as a cool mist
    humidifier in a home.

  2. You could just go out and buy an ultrasonic humidifier, but they are not

    The vaporization action moves minerals dissolve in the water into the fog
    (as opposed to leaving them behind as scale, as with other humidifier
    schemes). If you use water containing dissolved minerals then you will start
    to see a white mineral crust forming on every surface in the room as quickly
    as the same day. These airbourne minerals are apparently very bad for the
    respiratory system, and from my experience very painful for contact lense
    wearers. You absolutely must use distilled water in ultrasonic humidifiers.

    The best humidifiers work by pulling air through a damp porous material like
    a sponge. This is what 'cool mist' humidifiers usually use, although
    bacterial growth in the water and sponge is still a concern. (you may need
    to clean frequently and possibly use chemicals). These humidifiers are even
    cheaper than ultrasonic.
  3. Brandon

    Brandon Guest

    Thanks for the info. I am still interested in learning how these really
    work specifically. I didn't mention in my first post...I would like the
    effect of the fog for use in my landscaping. The waterfall and the pool. I
    larger version of the indoor ones I have seen in various places would be
    ideal. How difficult would it be to make something like this?

  4. You can buy modules that sit in water and produce fog from the surface. Not
    sure how much they cost but they are available for the purpose you describe.
    They need frequenct cleaning and will self-destruct instantly if operated
    out of water (so watch the levels).

    They work by generating a high frequency (1-2MHz?) wave in the water, which
    causes violent vibrations at the air-water interface and water molecules are
    flung off into the air. This is my understanding anyway, that the water is
    shaken until individual atoms or small groups of atoms have enough energy to
    escape. These things are also sometimes called atomizers.

    You can't really make one, because they use special ultrasonic transducers
    that you wouldn't be able to make on your own, but you can buy them as
    modules in various sizes. Look on google.
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day