Connect with us

Inverters connected

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Andrew Borg, Jul 31, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Andrew Borg

Andrew Borg

Aug 10, 2014
    Hi is it possible to connect two inverters together? One grid tie to another normal one.
    Thanks.

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    What do you mean "connect two inverters together"?

3. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    I presume 'paralleled' (I mean, why would anyone wire them in series???)

You can, but only under strict synchronising rules so if your inverter(s) don't have this facility then the task becomes extremely difficult and potentially very expensive.

The easier way would be to to switch between the two as required - assuming your intention is not to simply increase the power output.

4. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    Ahh, so set up one inverter to produce mains voltage, then try to use a grid-tie inverter to boost it's output.

The anti-islanding will almost certainly detect that you're not connected to the real mains and shut down.

I believe one of the things that anti-islanding does is check the impedance of the mains. A normal inverter probably won't pass that test.

5. Andrew Borg

Andrew Borg

Aug 10, 2014
    Hi Steve yes as you said switch on an inverter with a batt bank and then to boost power use another grid tie to other solar panels. This is not possible? What's anti island that you mentioned? Thanks.

6. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    Any islanding is a requirement on grid tie inverters to (pretty specifically) stop them from doing what you want them to in this case.

7. Andrew Borg

Andrew Borg

Aug 10, 2014
    So they should name them no-man island would be more appropiate :).

Ask a Question