Connect with us

Inverter issues

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by Jonty, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Jonty

Jonty

Apr 25, 2015
    Hi all. I have an unknown brand 2nd hand inverter that is livening up the fan grills and end plate. No obvious issues, any ideas.
    Thanks in advance
    Liam

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    I have absolutely no idea what you mean by that ??

3. ramussons

ramussons

Jun 10, 2014
    A few photos will avoid a lot of questions that need an answer :(

4. Jonty

Jonty

Apr 25, 2015
    Pardon me that was poorly done...
    I tested with a set of test lamps between the -ve terminal and the fan grills/end plate and got a nice solid glow, just wondering if anyone has come across this before and reasons for it.
    kind regards

Attached Files:

5. ramussons

ramussons

Jun 10, 2014
    Test lamp: What Voltage? What Wattage?
    From the photos, looks like the test lamps are across the Invertor DC Input and not the output.

Can we have photos of all the 6 sides of the invertor without anything connected?

davenn likes this.
  6. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    Im trying to figure out why there are 2 huge cable loops between the 2 reds and the 2 blacks ??

Jonty ... please do an end on pic and identify the input and output terminals
    are there any terminals on the end beside that drink bottle ?

7. Jonty

Jonty

Apr 25, 2015
    Alright, i'll try again.
    So attached are 6 pics showing each side, the two loops are probably not required, they are just an external bridge between the twin terminals, there is also a plate bridge on the inside. I have attached another pic with the lid off, showing 4 +ve's and 4-ve's coming from said terminals.
    So initially, this inverter was given to me from a mate. He said that it came from a work vehicle thrown out when people began getting shocks off the body.
    I removed the cover and did an initial once over checking for burns, loose connections etc. nothing. then, using a 240vac 15w set of test lamps I tested between 12vdc -ve terminal and the body to see if I could get a definitive indication of an issue. (also to confirm the reason for a light shock i'd received). The lamps lit up nicely.
    So at this time that's all I have, any thoughts?

Attached Files:

8. ramussons

ramussons

Jun 10, 2014
    Ok, you photo win_20150429_161709-jpg shows clearly the 2 AC outlet sockets. There's a On/OFF switch too.

Was hoping that there would be some label on the unit giving some info about the ratings.

"....then, using a 240vac 15w set of test lamps I tested between 12vdc -ve terminal and the body...".

The lamps lit, but how bright?
    What is the voltage between the -ve terminal and the body?

It's quite possible that the invertor caters to +ve ground vehicles, or, it may have an option to select +ve or -ve ground.

Did you connect the battery? (with a safety fuse please)
    Did you switch ON the invertor?
    Did it give an output? What voltage?

9. Jonty

Jonty

Apr 25, 2015
    Hi there, sorry about the tardy reply, work is definitely getting in the way of more interesting activities.
    The lamp lit to about half brightness (240vac) but unfortunately I didn't have a multimeter available to get an accurate voltage.
    I have livened up the inverter and got 230v active to neutral and it works fine, I just had that little issue with it biting me.
    I have taken it apart again and done a little more checking, I only tightened up the dc connections, trying to make sure the insulation is not getting pinched and it would appear that the case isn't livening up anymore.
    I'm not overly comfortable with this as i'm not actually sure what the issue was. any theories are welcome.
    kind regards and thanks

10. ramussons

ramussons

Jun 10, 2014
    Dear jonty, without access to minimum of a Multimeter, it will be difficult to solve your problem. We don't even know if there's a problem.

Ask a Question