Connect with us

inverter generator modification.

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by gavthirdphase, Mar 14, 2013.

1. gavthirdphase

gavthirdphase

Mar 14, 2013
    I would like to buy a 1 kw suitcase generator to power a small heater and lights for my van when I go to the alps in a few weeks. I was going to buy an inverter generator which if you don't know is a motor that is connected to a three phase alternator which then rectifys the output to 12v DC then uses a inverter to change the output to 240v ac.

I want to know how difficult it would be to modify the generator so I could use a car battery with the inverter part of the generator, when the engine is not running. I would like to be able to go to bed at night and then set a timer on my heater which would go on in the morning for half an hour, powered by my battery.

any input would be appreciated.

Gavin

2. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    What you suggest would be possible but you will need a circuit diagram (schematic) to know what to chop.

A 12V heater would be simpler and would not risk your invertor.

A 12V 24Ah battery running at 20A would give a heat out of 240W only and would last less than an hour.

3. debe

debe

Oct 15, 2011
    You will find Inverter type generators generate about 350V ac 3 phase. This is rectified & then choped up to give 240 V ac @ 50 cycles. Circuit is a Honda EU1000i.

Attached Files:

Ask a Question