Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Inverter 12V to 220V

AlenZGB

Feb 19, 2014
Hello,
is it possible that car inverter 12V to 220V can kill you or do any harm to heart or some organs ?
Maybe its a silly question but its still 220V even if came from 12V car battery, right ?

Like this one:
-font-b-1500w-b-font-Car-Converter-Modified-Sine-Wave-font-b-Power-b-font.jpg

Regards,

Last edited:

AlenZGB

Feb 19, 2014
Yes it can..... why are you asking?
Adam

Starting to build my solar setup, so ill need inverter from 12V to 220V.
Im asking just to confirm that i need to have that in mind when placing to wierd places :D

Thanks for fast replay

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
A decent solar setup providing a few hundred to several thousand watts of power can fry you. Most of these installations use panels wired in series for more voltage. Makes the DC to AC conversion more efficient. Still, even a panel producing "only" 12 V DC, will provide enough energy for a 220 V AC inverter to do damage if your body comes into contact with the AC output. It only takes a few milli-amperes of current to stop a heart or tetanize muscles to the point where you "can't let go" of the wires. Don't ask me how I know this.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Take the same precautions you would in dealing with 220V house wiring.

Bob

Miguel Lopez

Jan 25, 2012
The output of such converters is not a sinewave but squarewave, so there should be some appliances that shouldn't be supplied with it.

Anyway, try to keep the electrons inside the wires, if they reach your body, you will learn why the lamps glow. Lamps doesn't care if it is a sine wave or square wave, .........your body either.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
As mentioned previously... many solar panels in series can produce quite a bit of voltage! Sometimes higher than the mains voltage you are powering.
Voltage is voltage, and it does not matter how it is made, higher values are able to cross insulators and put more current into resistive loads... (like your body)
A very very small amount of current is able to interrupt your heart's natural electrical signals and cause heart failure... so even if the electricity is far from burning you silly or making your kidney explode, it can still end you early. It's never worth the gamble to touch or work on/with higher voltages without the proper safety precautions... and if you are a stubborn person. At least get a spotter that can call 911 and flip a circuit breaker if you suddenly find yourself possessed by those nasty little electrons.

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
A decent solar setup providing a few hundred to several thousand watts of power can fry you.

Like mentioned here yes it can kill you. It is not voltage but current that kills and again if above 40 volts and a few miliamps.

You could read more here:
https://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~p616/safety/fatal_current.html

It is funny but at the bottom it says Danger Low voltage.

I also agree with Gryd3 and say that when it comes to high voltage AC i think it is considered leathal more because it tends to arc and penetrate much easyer than low voltage rather than the fact that it is high.

Does the above make sense ?

AlenZGB

Feb 19, 2014
Yap, perfecly senseable.
For now ill go for on 12V solar setup. And panels, battery and inverter would be on the other side of the yard,i will just throw the cable with 220V im my garage, should be for heating in the winter times.
Anyways thanks for fast replay from all of you.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Yap, perfecly senseable.
For now ill go for on 12V solar setup. And panels, battery and inverter would be on the other side of the yard,i will just throw the cable with 220V im my garage, should be for heating in the winter times.
Anyways thanks for fast replay from all of you.

you realise you cannot go straight from a basic solar panel to a battery then the inverter, don't you ? .... it isn't going to any real heating power

for any significant heating lets say a 1kW 220V heater, you will need a huge battery bank
You need to consider the output capability of the battery(ies) the losses in the inverter to
find what the real capability of your system is ... I think you will be shocked as how low it is

Dave

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
You could place the inverter in the same room you are heating with 220 V AC and improve the efficiency a little. Whatever "waste" heat the inverter produces because of its inefficiency will go toward heating the room.

A one meter square solar panel collects about one kilowatt with maybe 15% conversion efficiency to electricity on a cloudless summer day at noon, maybe a bit more with high-tech (expensive) wide-spectrum photo-voltaic cells... so maybe 150 to 250 watts delivered to your inverter. Less during the winter when the Sun is lower in the sky.

That same one square meter configured as a plane mirror that tracks the sun will deliver almost all of that nearly one kilowatt of power as heat. Just aim it at a window as @BobK suggested. Hang a black cloth (or a black-painted metal sheet) inside to absorb and convert the Sun's rays into heat. You should be aiming your sunbeam through a double-insulated window so you don't lose much of the heat back to the outside.

No need to focus the Sun's rays; flat mirrors work fine for moving sunbeams around. Maybe use polished aluminum to avoid the weight and hassle of mounting a glass mirror. A skylight through the roof works well, too, if you don't mind cutting a big hole in your roof. You can line the hole with reflective surfaces to improve collection efficiency without resorting to movable mirror(s). All sorts of ways to collect solar energy for use as heat, but photo-voltaic panels aren't one of them.

AlenZGB

Feb 19, 2014
It wasnt my plan to heat it up from 0`C to 25`C, im my garage in winter time when outside is -10`C, is around +5`c
So ill need to just heat it a little, planing to do with less then 1kW heater,and maybe some 12V heater, I know that in winter time i get reduced solar energy, but its just at starting point, my house is 10mx10m=100square m, enough roof place for plenty of solar panels. but this starting stuff will be on my garage just for testing, for a year or less, then ill buy another panels and get higher efficiency.

@davenn
i know i need some solar charge controller, before inverter and batteries, ;)
for now i have 3, 12V 140 Ah battery, gel one, for holding the cell phone towers. for start they will be enough.

EDIT:
maybe something like this one or maybe 50W and small fan.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-DC-12V-1...348605?hash=item4afe23f27d:g:93MAAOSwZSFXJFjJ