Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Intermittent audio from speakers

ascimad

May 5, 2018
I have an old JVC RX-250 receiver that has no audio at times. I took the cover off the unit and found that tapping on a relay caused the audio to turn on and off. I am unable to find a schematic diagram for this model online so I am not sure how to troubleshoot this problem. I have experience in electronics but not a strong background in troubleshooting at component level. can anybody let me know if there is anything else I can check or can someone let me know if I can get a schematic diagram for this model that I can reference?

WHONOES

May 20, 2017
Sounds as if the relay contacts a little burnt. If you can get the cover off then, you could clean them with a very fine abrasive paper. If not then you'll probably have to replace it.

ascimad

May 5, 2018
Thank you, I will give that a try, but if I need to replace it would I be able to get a replacement part being this unit is over 20 years old?

WHONOES

May 20, 2017
Unlikely unless it is a very common part. Have a look on the case, it may have a part number that could be traceable. If not you will have to find a suitable replacement that could be hard wired in.

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
Check for bad solder joints on the relay or even reflow them regardless of apparent condition.

ascimad

May 5, 2018
Unlikely unless it is a very common part. Have a look on the case, it may have a part number that could be traceable. If not you will have to find a suitable replacement that could be hard wired in.

Thank you for your help.

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
And also probe the speaker terminals for DC presence at low volume when happens to work.
If there is DC; the relay is acting properly disconnecting the speakers as there is a fault.