Connect with us

Intermediate digital project

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by jacobk, May 3, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. jacobk

jacobk

Mar 29, 2012
    I have been creating various analog circuits for the past few months, and have decided to try digital circuits. I am looking for a circuit that is challenging but not too hard, if is not too much to ask i would prefer it be somewhat useful, e.x. a circuit that stops charging a capacitor after a certain amount of time. I dont care how long it takes just as long as it is somewhat challenging and useful. Thank you ahead of time.

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Check out the traffic light simulator that someone's been discussing here recently. It's reasonably simple and incorporates analogue and digital stuff.

3. jacobk

jacobk

Mar 29, 2012
    Not to be picky, but i was thinking a more useful circuit.

4. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    What would be useful to you?

5. jacobk

jacobk

Mar 29, 2012
    I was thinking maybe like a timer that connects to an ac socket that i could use to charge my phone, and after the set amount of time, it cuts off the current to my phone charger, so my phone doesnt overcharge.

6. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    any decent mobile phone produced in at least the last 10 years already has battery charging control built into it anyway, hence it doesnt matter how long it stays on the charger :)

what other digital circuit things interest you ?

cheers
    Dave

7. jacobk

jacobk

Mar 29, 2012
    (*steve*) are you from south Africa, or am i completely off?

8. jacobk

jacobk

Mar 29, 2012
    Well i have no idea what type of circuit to make, if you have any suggestions they would be much obliged.

9. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    You're in the right hemisphere. :)

10. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
  11. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    I have always considered clocks and up/down timers with displays to be a little bit of a challenge for the newbie... It might very well be overwhelming to many but it's certainly a challenge that will teach you many aspects in the end...

12. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    A digital dice game could be fun. It would involve a clock (oscillator) counters, and decoding logic.

1. The easy way: Use a 7-segment digit to output 1-6.
    2. The more challenging way: have spots arranged like this:

0 0 0
    0 0 0
    0 0 0

And do the decoding logic to light the spots (LEDs) for each of the numbers.

Bob

13. jacobk

jacobk

Mar 29, 2012
    I would be fine with that
    Now do you have a schematic, or can you help me make one.

14. GonzoEngineer

GonzoEngineer

Dec 2, 2011
    If you can do Analog stuff, I need a circuit designed. You might just make some money.

The circuit has one analog input, and needs one digital output.

The analog input is 0 to 10V, and is scaled to represent the output of a Plasma Generator output of 0-1700V. It is used for Magnetron Sputtering

In normal operation, the output voltage is pulsed, with rise and fall times in the neighborhood of 3 usec, and pulse times of anything from 6usec to 150msec.

But sometimes we have an arc in the chamber, not a bad thing if you are coating drill bits, but a very bad thing if you are coating silicon wafers for computer chips.

Now, an arc can be detected by DIFFEREINTIATING the signal, and determining that the fall time is much faster than than the normal times.

When an arc signal is detected, I just want a digital output to drive a fiber optic cable and stop the pulse and initiate a crowbar.

But I want it fast!:D

Are you interested?

15. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    how about doing a google search on digital dice circuit
    you may be suprised what you may find

Dave

PS Gonzo .... you're so bad ;) haha

16. timothy48342

timothy48342

Nov 28, 2011
    On that page is the dice project. I was actually just looking at that. Has only 1 digital IC to learn. Has schematic and recommended citcuit board layout.

--tim

Ask a Question