Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Interfacing Bluetooth module to a MCU

skoushik333

Jan 25, 2012
Hi,
I'm doing a project which involves a Bluetooth module, a Proximity sensor and a Microcontroller. Basically, it works like this:
When the sensor gets triggered (by an obstacle), the device should be able to send a message to a cellphone via Bluetooth.
I'm very new to this stuff, so I'd appreciate it if any guidance is offered. I've attached the circuit diagrams of the proximity sensor(which was fully assembled when I bought it), and the design which I did (which I'm guessing is wrong).
I'd be glad if any of you can help me out.

Attachments

• ckt.jpg
    ckt.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 400
  • Image002.jpg
    Image002.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 410

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
I can't tell you about Bluetooth. But let me not ethis:

1) operating the 8051 from 9 V is a bad idea, even with the series resistor. The voltage at the VCC pin of the 8051 will vary depending on the current consumption. Better add a voltage regulator. In this case asimple linear regulator 7805 or 78L05 should sufice. Check the power consupmtion of the 5 V cicuit to determine whether you need the larger 7805 or the smaller 78L05 and also whether you need a heatsink.

2) The connection of P3.0 and P3.1 to TxD and RxD, respectively, looks o.k.

Harald

skoushik333

Jan 25, 2012
I can't tell you about Bluetooth. But let me not ethis:

1) operating the 8051 from 9 V is a bad idea, even with the series resistor. The voltage at the VCC pin of the 8051 will vary depending on the current consumption. Better add a voltage regulator. In this case asimple linear regulator 7805 or 78L05 should sufice. Check the power consupmtion of the 5 V cicuit to determine whether you need the larger 7805 or the smaller 78L05 and also whether you need a heatsink.

2) The connection of P3.0 and P3.1 to TxD and RxD, respectively, looks o.k.

Harald

Thanks for the input. I guess I wasn't thinking very much when I made that circuit. I do agree on the voltage regulator part, and I've done the same thing. Here's the updated circuit. I wanted to know if it's okay to connect the output to the Interrupt pin and program it to send the output when the INT is triggered.

Attachments

• circuit diagram.jpg
    circuit diagram.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 974

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Why use a voltage regulator from the sensor to the INT pin? I don't even know whether the regulator would generate clean pulses from the switched 9 V at its input.
You can jusr use a resostor divider to reduce the 9 v to 6 V.

Harald

Sid723

Jan 28, 2010
It looks like the "proximity" sensor circuit you are using is a self contained circuit and has no real output to send to the CPU. The sensor triggers a buzzer when the infrared circuit sensor sees the signal from the infrared LED. To use it in your circuit, you will have to find a suitable point to take an output that is of a logic (0v to 5v) level that you can send to the CPU and trigger an interrupt.

It looks like more work needs to be done before this can work.

ronk4rompy

Oct 23, 2012
Hi,
I'm doing a project which involves a Bluetooth module, a Proximity sensor and a Microcontroller. Basically, it works like this:
When the sensor gets triggered (by an obstacle), the device should be able to send a message to a cellphone via Bluetooth.
I'm very new to this stuff, so I'd appreciate it if any guidance is offered. I've attached the circuit diagrams of the proximity sensor(which was fully assembled when I bought it), and the design which I did (which I'm guessing is wrong).
I'd be glad if any of you can help me out.
can u explain mei whats ur acjt aim?