Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Interesting Video On Electricity

Status
Not open for further replies.

flippineck

Sep 8, 2013
The electric and magnetic fields inside and outside the wire require no medium to propagate

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
The electric and magnetic fields inside and outside the wire require no medium to propagate

The EM field is OUTSIDE the conductor
A very small electric field is inside the wire ... the main electric field is outside the wire

Last edited:

flippineck

Sep 8, 2013
Got me thinking there. As far as I understand.. the field is zero at all points inside the conductor. I don't know if that means the field does not exist inside the conductor, or whether it does technically exist yet at some variant of null..

I'm still amazed that the EM field requires no medium to propagate.. took me years to find a way to visualise that it does just that.

I'm pretty much the gen pub & did enjoy the vid :)

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
Almost 25 years ago, I enjoyed this explanation I just searched again in order to submit this post, is still present on the web :
----> http://amasci.com/miscon/whatis.html
Am happy it is still available. There is many branches in the subject, abundant links within the tutorial, each one surprising. Explore those embedded links within the text and be prepared for an overdose !

Many misconceptions that teach things the wrong way since lesson one. And no institution reforms it to a scientific consensus.:(

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
I'm still amazed that the EM field requires no medium to propagate.
In the 19th century, while electricity was being discovered and used to kick-start the Industrial Revolution, many people thought that something they called the ether was responsible for EM propagation.

So Michelson and Morley tried to measure the effect that Earth's motion around the Sun, plowing through the ether so to speak, would have on the propagation of visible light. Their conjecture was that the speed of light would vary according to the direction of propagation in the ether. Their experiment, while cleverly designed, did not yield the expected result. There was NO indication that the ether, if it existed, had any effect on how light propagated.

Part of the problem has to do with how the ether was defined. It was supposed to be massless and pervasive but invisible. That pretty much says the ether is unobservable, directly. After many years and repeated demonstrations failed to reveal any evidence for the existence of the ether, the idea that some sort of medium was necessary to propagate EM waves was abandoned.

I propose another (untestable) explanation: God. God has many attributes that are similar to what is expected of the hypothetical ether, so if you insist on requiring a medium to propagate EM radiation, God is as good an explanation as you will find. Attach whatever religion pleases you. While contemplating this, consider also gravity and what effect the ether (God) has on that.
:cool:

Last edited:

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
While contemplating this, consider also gravity and what effect the ether (God) has on that.
:cool:
I find this entire subject to be a real Bohr! ;)
Michelson and Morley failure was a success in my book only because it eliminated an assumption. It is the process of science. I believe "Gravitational Lensing" took care of that one.
Bohr and Einstein famously clashed over quantum mechanics. Bohr and his cohorts proposed that quantum particles behaved according to probabilistic laws, which Einstein found unacceptable, he told him that "God does not play dice with the universe." Bohr's views eventually came to dominate much of contemporary thinking about quantum mechanics ; all the academics didn't want to upset the apple cart cuz they were are all rotten apples. History repeating itself! The bullies were and are being taken care of. :mad: 2016, the Advanced Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory announced the first-ever direct detection of gravitational waves, created when massive neutron stars and black holes merge and generate ripples in the fabric of space-time.
astrophysical theories are shown to be mired in mysticism and unproven assumptions, even while empirical astronomy and space science engineering proceeds with new discoveries nearly every single day!

Screenshot_20231025_200309.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.