Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Intel enters the Arduino market

Solidus

Jun 19, 2011
Bob - after looking at the datasheet, I've got a few questions. Looks like an interesting product, provided it will bring enough new stuff to the table:

Is it indeed its own device, or is it only looking to be a beefed up "Arduino on crack" with Eth/USB/PCIe downstreams? That is, does it have enough kick to it to support operations and runtimes that the standard AVR/ARM Arduinos don't have the "horsepower" to support, such as graphics routines?

Also, what is the (tentative) price tag on this?

I'm very interested, but as I've shifted from using MCUs to using processor cores for FPGAs with custom interfaces because of framework limitations, if I'm to make another investment in the microcontrolling domain it needs to be able to provide things or make things more seamless which justify the price.

Eli
(solidus)

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
In addition to the Arduino environment, the board can run Linux and be programmed with gcc, so I would say yes to your question about enhanced capabilities.

The price is $60.

Bob

Solidus

Jun 19, 2011
Wow! That's a stellar price actually, for what you're getting.

I'll have to get one. The Gizmo (by AMD) is a full-fledged x86 microcontrolling platform but its $200 price tag has deterred me a bit.