Connect with us

Integrated Circuit with PNP and NPN transistor as bypass gate

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by hpfiend, May 23, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. hpfiend

hpfiend

Feb 20, 2013
    Ok guys/gals-

I need some help with the lingo. In my mind it would be called a bypass gate but that isn't looking to be the case. What would an IC with a PNP and NPN transistor with shared Bases be called?

Basically the main current travels path A until the switch current is applied to base of both transistors. The NPN switches on to open path B through the circuit and simultaneously the PNP switches off to close the path A.

Thanks!

2. GreenGiant

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
    Sounds like you are describing a SPDT transistor gate of some sort, Im not sure if that exists in a single IC, but you can always use 2 transistors for it, one PNP, one NPN

3. hpfiend

hpfiend

Feb 20, 2013
    Yeah that is what I was going to do but thought it might already be built in one chip. I will search single pole double throw transistor gate.

Thanks!

4. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
  5. hpfiend

hpfiend

Feb 20, 2013
    Thanks for your response!

Other than packaging and mechanical reliability would a SPDT relay be a better solution here to avoid the voltage drop through the transistors?

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  6. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    It depends entirely on your application.

I'm also thinking that the device might be a bipolar half-bridge.

You can easily get 2 transistors in a single package.

Ask a Question